2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Lowrance HDS series GPS. Some of the reviews I see are mixed. I was wondering if anybody has used the Lowrance HDS series and could please give me their feedback and opinion. Thank you.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I will never buy another Lowrance product. I owned one of their first hand held GPS's before the mapping type. Nothing but problems. In Feb. of 07 I got a iway 250c from Bass Pro because I liked the features and how easy it was to work. I dumped 299.00 on it. Roads have changed and my map is out of date. Guess what? No updates!!! I now have a 300.00 paper weight. Garmin updates their maps every quarter. Garmin for me from now on.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Add me to the list of Lowrance haters. My unit is all of 4 years old and is no longer under warranty. Additionally, it is no longer supported by Lowrance. Meaning, once it needs service, I'm SOL. There are no updates available and cards are no longer available. So basically, it's junk whenever it quits.

I'll go to Garmin, Raymarine or Furuno for my next unit. At least they stand behind their products.

Reactions: RedFisch

·
Emorys Daddy
1,376 Posts
Not to start a Lrance vs Hbird debate but I was using my 1197 today and it still amazes me. From what I have heard, the Lrance is not as easy to understand. I have to update for the color palatte ( spelling) change to orange instead of blue and it is remarkable. I just push "mark" when I see something neat, it records the screenshot, location, depth, and temp on a SD card and I look at it later. I looked long and hard and did all the research and got the Hbird.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
Majek Texas Slam
5,354 Posts
I have had my HDs 5 for about 4 months now. I think it is more difficult to use. Not very user friendly IMO. I like the graphics and no issues with vibration when underway. Screen is way to small as well. Upgrade if you are looking to purchase.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't get behind Garmin to much. I love Garmins BUT. The support is not necessarly there. I have a GPS 230 that uses the G-Charts... No longer made, no updates etc. Can't even find one for the Galveston Bay. I bought the boat in Fla. and now will be forced to upgrade because they don't any longer support the format. Oh well guess I'll have to go to the 4212. Just my .02.:headknock

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've got 4 Lowrance units in my shop that won't work and are not supported by Lowrance.

The oldest is 4 years old. I asked Lowrance for a rebate or something to take the pain out of buying a new HDS system for a customer of mine and they refused.

I have also had to return a couple of the HDS systems due to: a) rain intrusion and b) unit locking up.

Needless to say as a retailer I'm not a fan of Lowrance units and it's not just because they are hard to use but because their tech support is just not where it should be.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The first one i put out in the field came back the Second day it rained , while he was out wading and it filled full of water, fried it, it took almost 3 weeks to get another one, have not heard if it filled with water yet...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts