2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm a new member, although I've been visiting this website faithfully for the past six months and have gotten lots of good information. I have a Hydrasport Vector 2000CD with a 1994 225 Oceanrunner and I have decision to make on the lower unit. It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I can buy a brand new one on eBay, from a Chicago distributor, for $1,595 (with $200 core charge). The other option is rebuilding. Does anyone have a shop they would recommend for the rebuild. Second, what can I expect to pay?

Thanks for your help.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
My experience has been that it cost just about the same either way you go, Depending what all is broken in your lower unit. If you just need some new gears, and the housing is still in good condition, repair would be the way to go. Otherwise, go with the replacement. I would recommend finding out what all needs to be replaced before making the decision. my .02
Bret

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Skin,

I would try to find out who and when the new lower unit was built. If it was built before Bombardaire bought Evinrude, I would pass on the new unit and get your old one rebuilt. The last years before they were bought they built some junky lower units.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
What's the bid on the rebuild? How much corrosion and external damage is on the original? What is the warranty on the Chicago unit? What is the warranty on a local replacement? Is the replacement really a rebuild using non-OEM parts? Will your local rebuild use non-OEM parts and what is their warranty. Will you fix it and sell it? Fix it and run it a couple more years? Fix it and keep it till the day you die?

Interest rates are so low, right now, you may consider a new motor a more viable option, especially if you use the boat 200 hours/year or more.

NADA says that motor is worth $3000. If the top is good, it may well be worth fixin.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
oh....and that transition period that C mentioned.... OEM stuff build just prior to Bombardier taking the company may not be as good as after-market during that same time period. You may want to discount for OMC stuff manufactured in the last 24 to 36 months of that company's life. Old Old (1994) parts were pretty good, Bombarier parts are reputable, and some after-market is good. IMHO, aftermarket parts made in the US or EU would be superior to parts made in China. Japanese steel may not be as good as US steel, but it may be machined to closer tolerances.

Run you a timeline out for how ever long you want to keep the boat. Estimate what the boat will be worth at that time and how much your are willing to pay each year to keep it at that value. That timeline will help you make your decision of how much you are willing to spend, today.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looks like I'm in the same boat as Skin. Need a lower unit, cost to rebuild a 1997is around $2500 and a "new" lower unit from this place is about $1600 + shipping. Same warranty. My lower unit WAS in good condition BEFORE the stump incident. No corrosion and fairly low hours. I have a thread started on the original 2cool board.

Hey Skin....What'd you do?

"Anybody around here ever do business with Tri-State Marine? The sell alot of "new" lower units off E-bay. I asked a question about being "new" and here's the response.

""These are new units not rebuilds, The manufacture of this unit is GLM PRODUCTS. We assemble these units useing the OEM manufacture's gear set, as we have had problems with the GLM gears in the past on larger horse power engines. This is a premium unit in more ways than one, better than the OEM unit. We have a flat rate for shipping @55.00 to lower 48 states. If you have more questions please call. TRI-STATE MARINE 847-526-6211.....Lee""

Anyway..........looks like buying a unit from them is cheaper than having mine rebuilt.

Thanks!!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still mulling it over...

BigStick,

I'm still mulling it over. It just pains me to think I will pay the same or more for a "rebuild" than a "new" lower unit. Tri-State Marine is who I was going to order from.

I'm leaning towards the new one from Tri-State. If you hear anything positive or negative about their products, let me know.

Skin

·
Registered
153 Posts
One other factor may be availability. We replaced a set of gears on a 2001 evinrude this summer and they were on back order for about 10 weeks. A different dealer from the one where we purchased the motor told me that omc had a problem with some "soft" gears. Another fine result of outsourcing. I found some aftermarket suppliers and I believe that they are getting them from the same place as omc, both had the same time frame for getting the parts.(as soon as the ship from china docks) We ended up paying about 800 dollars just for the gears.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Guys,

I'd be sure who the OEM part are from....you really don't want the original OEM Evinrude parts. I'd at least call them and give them a chance to lie to you before I just thew money their way hoping they were Bombardire parts. There is a possibility that Tri-State bought up all the old OEM Evinrude parts to build these units. I am sure someone bought what ever was left over that Bombardier didn't want that they sold as scrap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts