2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a lower unit that will fit a 1993 Johnson 88SPL V-4 crossflow?
I have found a few, but they are too old. Apparently Johnson changed the drive shaft and spline configuration in 1991. Mine needs a 2-piece drive shaft and the spline does not have an o-ring.

If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my boat back in the water.

A fellow 2cooler had one that he let me take to see if it would work, but unfortunately it is a 1987 unit and has a 1-piece drive shaft...

Never got the name of the guys who kindly towed my son and I in from the north jetty boat cut on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but their boat was named "Sea do cer" I think. Sure was glad we didn't end up spending the night at the jetty:) Really would have been a "black Friday".
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
why wont the 1pc work?
i have installed several older units on newer motors, and newer units on older motors. Just make sure the shift shaft is the right length.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have a whole motor I'm taking off tomorrow, for the price of a good lower unit, it off a 1998 115. spl had water pump job around 8 months and vac, and pressure tested the engine runs but looks a little rough, or we can sell just the lower unit. If interrested, pm or call the shop.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
why wont the 1pc work?
i have installed several older units on newer motors, and newer units on older motors. Just make sure the shift shaft is the right length.
Greg I believe there is a different length in the shafts, they do make a top two piece to fit the older lower units, but then have to change out the bottom shaft for a two piece,, I had a guy bring me one and bolted it on and it would not turn over dropped the lower unit and it would turn over, he took it back and they had to change the bottom shaft and install a new top shaft to fit. there is just a little difference in the length and the two piece shaft has a different bottom seal in the crank, that does away with the oring,, some one correct me if I'm wrong, but believe there is a small height difference.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Sonny, you are 100% correct, but it can work, with no problems. On the older units the driveshaft is roughly 3/16" longer, you can cut 3/16" (or right at the bevel)off of the top of the splined shaft, carefully grind a bevel back on, and your in buisness. Got to check the shift shaft though, old and new are bent totally different. NOW, this will not work on some of the v-6 motors, as the mounting holes were spaced different.

Greg I believe there is a different length in the shafts, they do make a top two piece to fit the older lower units, but then have to change out the bottom shaft for a two piece,, I had a guy bring me one and bolted it on and it would not turn over dropped the lower unit and it would turn over, he took it back and they had to change the bottom shaft and install a new top shaft to fit. there is just a little difference in the length and the two piece shaft has a different bottom seal in the crank, that does away with the oring,, some one correct me if I'm wrong, but believe there is a small height difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1-piece vs. 2-piece drive shaft

I was told that the drive shart on the 2-piece shaft (newer) does not have an O-ring slot. Apparently there is a difference where these go into the motor. I think this is to keep water running up the shaft from going into the motor...

I found a fellow 2-color that has a lower unit from a 1987 V-4. This has a 1-piece drive shaft and was told this would not work on my motor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lower unit replaced!

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of help. Gregr1971 helped me out and installed my replacement unit. I found a 1996 Johnson 90HP on Craig's List and we swopped out the lower units. Used my water pump (which was practically brand new) and had to used my gear shifting hardware.

Greg is an expert mechanic and made it all look easy. A special thank you goes out to him!!!! Ran the boat Tuesday all over East Bay and it is great!

Now I have lots of spare parts for my motor and best of all I know how to change my own water pump-which will save me hundreds of dollars each year!

This forum is a life saver:) Merry Christmas to all....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts