2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TROUT CHASER
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We departed at the end of the dike at 5:30 and arrived at our fishing hole at 6 am. We decided to fish some shell reef were we seen some nervous bait. We started off with topwaters only to get them slammed by very aggresive trout. After boating a good number of trout of top, the bite fizzled so we went to out live bait, and bite never stopped. We finished up our 3 man trout limits by 8:30 am, along with 1 redfish at 23 inches. Water was in real good shape, with a 10mph wind in the morning, nearly going calm by the time we left with storms building.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nice catch Michael! Save some for me when I get back from Los Angeles next week. Hope the conditions stay the same.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Some of them look very big, what was the biggest. Nice catch! Way to keep us at work motivated until next time.

THAT's What I'm Talkin' bout!!

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Ya'll are just putting me too shame. I'm lucky to catch a trout nowadays and your bringing in limits. Go figure...
Nice haul!!
Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
We put in at the dike around the same time as you- probably saw you at the ramp. We were in a FlatsCat. We too had a 3 person limit on trout and 1 red except we took a little longer because we got diverted offshore when the "captain" wanted to try for sharks behind shrimp boats out in the gulf. What a waste of time that was.Caught the trout on everything we threw, croaker, shrimp, soft plastics, and DOA's. Everything that is except topwater. Did have a few blowups on top but miraculously, not one managed managed to find even a single hook.
One note about the soft plastics. I got way more hook ups on Jr.'s than the full size. I zeroed in on this while I watched one of our guys catching fish after fish on shrimp under cork. One pop and the cork was under. My other buddy experimented with a DOA and had nearly the same success. Then there was me throwing the standard sized Sand Eel, and maybe getting 1 fish every 15 minutes to theirs every 10 seconds. I swithced over to the Jr. and it was game on and I matched them fish for fish.
I have never had a day like this in Galveston- ever!! It was just amazing. Seemed nearly every fish was a solid 18-20" with a few pushing 24". Very, very few undersized fish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts