2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other guys here, that sometimes hate your ABS, and other times think they're great?

One time I was zipping along on an industrial road marked 45mph. Up at the next intersection, granny makes a quick right turn on red, then drifts over 3 lanes (where I am flying).... I slam on the brakes, could see the collision going to happen..... instead of hard-stopping, the brakes are thumping and it's about to happen.... at the last instant I hard left against the median. Granny just went her merry way. I know my hot-rod '68 Nova with drum brakes would've stopped. But the Toyota RAV got ABS.

There I hated them ABS.

A few weeks ago I'm going less than 25 on a road with recent construction that is chalky-slick from fill in rocks they've been using. To my right the Suburban with the stop sign just decides when I'm 40 feet away to pull out and go. In one of those moments where time slows down , I mash the brakes, but am able to steer the front, and slide the back until I am exactly parallel with this ijiit (our trim must've been inch apart).

There I loved the miracle the ABS pulled off.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Just hit em. Thats the only way they are gonna learn, and thats what air bags are for! J/K.

Mine start thumping if im on the brakes and hit something slick, especially railroad crossings. Like anything else, theres good and bad points to them. I think that you are actually slowing down faster when the ABS is working than you would be with the tires locked up. Any physics majors out there that could maybe verify this?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is cool to be able to steer when hard braking in the rain, definitely. but on hard ground when those milliseconds count, and the wheels are moving instead of stopping; it sure gets that adrenalin pumping.

Mine engage when I bump over RR tracks, too. PS, remember learning to not lean on your bike when you went over wet tracks??:spineyes:

BB

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Another thought.....

When abs had been on all cars and trucks for a few years, I drove my mother in laws older Pontiac to the Post Office for something. It did not have abs...it stopped fine at all the slow speed stops, but when I was going 55 and needed to turn in at the PO....it just kept going, and going..until I finally locked them up and slid by the entrance.

It was a lesson to me! I was like you and hated the "feel" of the abs, until that day. I had drove non abs cars and trucks all my life, but once you get used to abs....be very careful if you get in one without it!

Later
R3F

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
I think I know that kind of ice

i found out they don't work on ice. back in 2004 i slid across a median on hwy 99 and jumped the guard rail.............lol
Answer: Nothing works on Texas freezing rain iced roads...the kind where you are going 5 mph and gently apply brakes to stop and just slide on through the intersection....or where you are on a bridge across a lake and the car in front of you does a 360 and just keeps on going the correct direction...or like on I 40 in the panhandle where you slowly creep by 18 wheeler after 18 wheeler lying on their sides in the ditch. When there is rain freezing up on your windshield wipers so you have to stop and knock the ice off them, nothing will work except staying at home.

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Just hit em. Thats the only way they are gonna learn, and thats what air bags are for! J/K.

QUOTE]

my grandpa always said "they got brakes let them use them"

as far as the abs goes when they work properly they should pulse several times per second some cars/trucks are faster than this. the buzzing you hear is a bunch of sillenoids fireing rapidly causing the pulse. diffrent manufactures have diffrent specs for the amount of pulse's per second.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
I think that you are actually slowing down faster when the ABS is working than you would be with the tires locked up. Any physics majors out there that could maybe verify this?
The idea behind ABS brakes is to get you to slow down as quick as possible and without sliding. If you don't have ABS and you slam on the brakes, even on dry pavement, it's likely you'll slide, increasing your stopping distance. If you can apply the brakes as firmly as possible without skidding, your stopping distance will be the least it's going to be for that car. This is what ABS is doing for you. It applies the brakes until the wheels lock up and then the computer starts releasing the brake until the wheel starts spinning again and then reapplying it until locks up, repeat this numerous times per second. Even though it may not feel like you're stopping as quick as you should, if the ABS system is functioning properly, you are.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
I have vehicles with and without ABS, the ABS brakes are much better.

I went to a performance driving school a few times. They have you make big figure 8's around pylons, accelerate out of and brake into a box, all for time, on a skid pad, dry and wet. Wet, the thing is like black ice. You do the tests multiple times, with and without the ABS system or stability management system ( PSM - stands for Please Save Me). Many folks not familiar with the systems say " I can drive better than that system!!!" well, their stopping distances and times show otherwise, and by a large margin. The big benefit is being able to manuver the vehicle WHILE braking, which is a guaranteed recipe for disaster without ABS.

Funny story - I was driving myself and my 3 biz partners to the last day of the school, the first time we went. Coming up to the turn a car pulled out in front of us, no time to react, just did the brake, relax, turn thing we had been doing for three days and missed the errant driver. No way would I have missed her before the school, likely would have hit her right in the driver side door, and totaled both vehicles.

MM

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
LOL Haparks feeling a little frisky this morning...

baiting ole Mastercylinder. Should that be called Master baiting? LOL

Later
R3F

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I like them. I just get out and kill the snakes. Then throw them off to the side of the road.

·
Registered
713 Posts
MY ABS was out when I went by the STNP at the morning shift change when a jerk pulled out right in front of me while I was doing 60. I put my foot through the floor board and flew all over the road without ABS. Scared the beejesus out of me. Made me a believer in ABS I tell ya.

BS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts