2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Louisiana oil spill ,Tuesday,found minimal stories

Good morning,
I was curious as to why it is that there is no mention of this oil spill in Lake Calciseau anywhere on the web seems something as potentionally devistating as this could be and yet I can't find any info.
Thanks Tsmit3

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
Yeouch,
Man just when they can see over the rainbow, something hits ya in da BUTTT, I really hope they can get her cleaned up properly!! Thanks for the info guys..

·
www.bayoumetalcreations.c om
910 Posts
they first said it wasnt very bad now its turning into the exxon valdez. it seems like citgo would be prepared for a heavy rain its not like it was a freak of nature storm or anything.

·
910 Posts
i live about 10 miles north of the spill and we could smell it. i keep asking my wife what is that smell it smelled like waste oil and then we heard the news.

·
910 Posts
its getting worse its moving in the ship channel oil showed up at calcasieu point landing. thats not good alot of people launch there boats and fish there.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Man, thats no good.

Notice in the article that it says between 15000-18000 gallons were spilled but coast guard says they have removed 45000? Interesting.

·
Registered
400 Posts
actually, if i'm not mistaken, it's 15000 - 18000 barrels (which is an oilfield barrel @ 42 gallons each)..... it is a huge spill.... the company i work for has vacuum trucks, and we have sent several over there..... they were calling for all available vacuum trucks in the region.... i don't have the specifics, but as i understand it, it is a huge spill.....

MsAddicted said:
Man, thats no good.

Notice in the article that it says between 15000-18000 gallons were spilled but coast guard says they have removed 45000? Interesting.

·
910 Posts
yes big lake(calcasieu lake) is closed i was planning on fishing the prien lake this morning but its closed as well. there goes the fishing.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Here's how most contracts I see define a barrel:

"DEFINITIONS:
Wherever the word, "Barrel" appears herein it means a barrel of 42 U.S.A. measured gallons at 60 F."

I also posted the latest traffic report on the thread I started last week about the spill. If you are planning on running the ditch any time soon, reconsider... Bigtime backlog at Calcasieu Locks. Looks like the river will stay closed all week.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
activescrape said:
How can it move upstream?
The area is tidal much like Sabine and Galveston bays are. When the tide comes in, the top layer of water (and oil in this case) will move North while the river keeps flowing down on the bottom.

I work over there a couple of times a week right across the river/shipchannel from Citgo. My customer is all but shutdown because they can't get crude barges in and product barges out. All the while Citgo is chugging right along since I think they can get things in and out via pipelines. It sucks that they don't have to shutdown since they caused this fiasco!

Take care,
Tim

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
I drove down to Cameron yesterday and the whole shrimp fleet was at dockside and not allowed to go out. Coast guard was there making sure. All because of the spill, although I'm not sure of the connection. I guess oily shrimp aren't very good to eat.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
That is just getting a head start on frying them right?

It really sucks that it got all the way to the GOM. I feel like it was a whole lot more than the 15,000 barrels they are owning up to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts