2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pretty loud drilling noise, that I only hear in the bedroom. Not really any specific time of day, and may not hear it for a few weeks. Anyone have any idea what this may be?

·
Native Texan
10,967 Posts
If you have copper piping, expansion/contraction while it is heating up during use can cause a creaking/drilling type noise. This occurs when the pipe is installed through a wooden stud and is bearing hard against the wood, typically when a wooden wedge has been used during installation (to prevent just this exact noise) and the wedge has loosened. The pipe bears against the wood while expanding/contracting from the hot water flowing through it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have copper piping, expansion/contraction while it is heating up during use can cause a creaking/drilling type noise. This occurs when the pipe is installed through a wooden stud and is bearing hard against the wood, typically when a wooden wedge has been used during installation (to prevent just this exact noise) and the wedge has loosened. The pipe bears against the wood while expanding/contracting from the hot water flowing through it.
That makes sense. But, this was doing it all night. Usually if I hear it, it doesn't last that long. I just wanna get it fixed..

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had something like this happen. It was my pool autofill running and causing the water pipe to vibrate in the wall in my office.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
When I think of a drilling sound, I think of the whirring of a drill. Are you talking about that or the sound of a drill bit going thru wood?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
That makes sense. But, this was doing it all night. Usually if I hear it, it doesn't last that long. I just wanna get it fixed..
check the pipes to and from the hot water heater, check the holes through the wood, they may need to be widened to allow for the pipe expansion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts