2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you doing lou i hear you compete in casting.I was just curious how far you can cast, or basically what are your records for the different size weights you can throw.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
12 times national champion and a demonstration cast over the Astro Dome at one of the boat or fishing shows.
The 821ft cast is the US national record for that line size using a 150 gram weight.
Yep, Lou can cast.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can buzz one out about..huh.....lets see 50 yds x 3ft =........yep, a whopping 150ft :)

I hate to brag, but you did ask.LOL. I am truly amazed at the casting skills of some of these guys. It's a gift or talent achieved over time no doubt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Cast over the dome

In Jan of 1991, at the Houston Boat show I did cast over the dome for a promotion.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tackle used

at that time was Zziplex rod 13'8" (made in England) Abu Ultra mag III,, 12 and 10 lb test line with a 50 lb shock leader, 150 gram weight.
Normal tournament tackle only differed by size of line which in competition was 12 lb Gold Stren or any line that measured not less than .35mm.
Rules and line sizes have changed thru the years and currently I hold three different National records.
821' with .35 mm line 150 gm
817' with .32 mm line 150 gm
812' with .31 mm line 150 gm
The 125 gm weight has been introduced and I held that record for all of two weeks now Rolland Johnson fron Va holds it 80? feet. .28 line
Now with smaller line diameters the Abu ultra mag II can be used.
There are a number of reels that will do for tournament work to name a few
virtually any of the Abu 5500 or 6500 reels will work with or with out magnets
some a bit better than others, the old UM series, xlts with a bit of modification.
Some of the old Daiwas did a good job. Daiwa 7ht. Penn 525 mag has done fair.
RODS Zziplex,conoflex, century, Allstar/Breakaway, I am currently using Jeff Andrews (very tough to get)
If you want to see this equipment in action ,,,,,show up Gregory Park , Crystal Beach Sept 11 and 12. OR
the next weekend in Corpus Christie. casters from as far away as Wales/England will be competing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What weekend for Corpus? Going down there thurday. Get a little big shell action in! Congrats on all of your casting records!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts