2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bringing home the bacon, Wild Style!!!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a way to wake up on Christmas Eve. I have to take my dog to the vet today and have him put down. Ive had this dog for 11 years and he has been a real pain but the stories he has created are the best. He is a bassett hound and really only chases squirels and keeps me company. He never hunted except when he snuck out at the deer lease and got some road kill for dinner. He produced as many funny stories as my kids have. He is gonna be missed by my whole family.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sorry to hear about what you are having to do it is very hard, they become one of your children. The one good thing to it is the memories that you will have to hold onto.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A Dog's Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.
Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. Everytime in my life I lost a dog I always say I wont get another one because it hurts so bad to loose a close friend. But I always get another one.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Sorry about your buddy. I've had to put several down and it never gets easier. I don't care what they say about waiting to get another dog. Get one soon to at least fill that void in the pit of your stomach and put some "love" back into your life. Remember all the good times with the old one as you make new memories with the new one. Man I love dogs. Prayers sent.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Sorry about your buddy. I've had to put several down and it never gets easier. I don't care what they say about waiting to get another dog. Get one soon to at least fill that void in the pit of your stomach and put some "love" back into your life. Remember all the good times with the old one as you make new memories with the new one. Man I love dogs. Prayers sent.
X2!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sorry for your loss. We had to put down our 14 yr old schnauser. Cried like a baby. You sure can get attached to them dogs, even if they are not always perfect.
Hang in there, it gets better.
BB

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
I'm so sorry...it's never easy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I feel your pain. Lost my best friend on the 15th. Died in my arms. He owned me for 13 years. Buried him on the home place in Arkansas where he can always chase squirrels. May God bless you.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, Txhoghtr . When you get a chance, go back and read what Castoff said. It will make you feel better about your actions. Sounds like you did the right thing. God Bless.

·
You talking to me?
1,603 Posts
My deepest condolences.

Our Shepard (retired narcotics dog and the best dog I've ever had) was recently diagnosed with a very aggresive form of cancer. We had the initial tumor taken out but over the past month it has become obvious that it has spread. I am down to hand feeding him a couple of times a day to keep him as healthy as possible. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, just not much apetite. I know it's coming soon, but I dread the day we have to put him down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts