2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RedRubi just called me and told me to post up. He lost 3 fishing rods along 45N between 518 and Beltway 8, he didn't realize that they blew out of the boat until they stopped for gas..

1- 7' Slingshot rod, labeled #2 of 10 in a series, spinning, all black with Okuma spinning reel

1- 6'5" Slingshot rod, labeled #10 of 10 in a series, baitcaster, black and red, with Shimano Citica

and a 3rd rod with a green curado on it

if found, please call me

Thanks,
Mike

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Ouch! That's got to hurt! My condolences!

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Dang...sorry to hear that man - hopefully someone will come up and turn them in. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
why do people not secure there rods in a boat its crazy i found my best rod on side of the road in chicago a st croix avid series im sure the guy had it in his boats rod holders

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sorry to hear about Red Rubi bad luck. The rods need to be secured in the horizontal position,with all of the lighting with these storms. Several years ago, a guy called into the 610 morning fishing show and told about his boat being struck by lighten with his graphite rod in the vertical position. while traveling back from fishing. He lost his boat and trailer and everything inside. He said, he almost lost his truck before he got unhooked from the trailer.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
when a rod hits the road at 60 mph there is not much left to salvage. I seen a wooden chair melt as it hit the road . ther was nothing left but 6 inch or smaller wood .

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
we've all learned lessons the hard way but it still makes you sick when it gets deep into your wallet and messes up a days fishing. Also, we can always learn from others mistakes. my rods haven't always been put up right but they will be from now on.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
Man, that sux. Hopefully they will turn up in useable condition.... at least the reels anyway. Yeah, it's always good to secure your rods for the ride home. Another good thing to remember is when you put your rods in a truck bed, make sure the butt end of the rods are closest to the cab or there's a good chance the rod tip could catch wind and flip the rod out of the bed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Me, I always keep my rods inside the truck for safety reason from not getting stoling, and from flying out of the boat, but most important to me is after using them in the salt, the dirty air from traveling I think will dry the insides and the line faster, the less air the better the insides of the reel you will have to lube. but hope you atleast get your reels back good luck.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I carry mine inside of plastic tubes in my suv. I hate to see people carrying their rods in rod holders in their boats with popping corks and lead weights slamming against the rod blanks. It doesn't take much to damage a rod like that.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
So True... The wind velocity kicks all those goodies that are not strapped down or have enough weight to keep it in....

My personal rods get to ride in their spot in the locked enclose rod holder. All other rods ride in the cab or on a mat in the beed of the truck. I have a rod tube also which I have not used that much. Maybe for out of state trips.

fabian31268 said:
not lectureing just giving a heads up to everyone to secure your gear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts