2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... not 100% sure but should be goin to pick up an Explorer Sport-trak in the next few days. gonna fish in the mornin and pick the car up later that day in the evenin... I have been there before and cought a bunch of sheepys on free lined shrimp off the piers. where should I go to catch spots and dot tails and which types of lures work?... thanx y'all..................JJ

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
well

Hard Head said:
Not sure I'd eat any if they were caught from Lavaca Bay! There is a notice from TP&W advising not to eat fish from that Bay Complex!
not the whole bay complex.......and not sure if that is still in effect.....maybe someone else knows for sure.........then again, not like those same fish don't travel quite a ways.......who knows where the contaminated fish end up.....maybe even Galvetraz? lol

I'd really probably stick to POC.........

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh I don't plan on eatin my fish... I hardley ever eat my fish anyways.... I forgot about the floodin.... oh well I'll still look around to find some salt/.......LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JJ

·
Super Moderator
3,742 Posts
The Texas Dept of Health has lists and maps of the various places that have advisories in the state. The upper end of Lavaca Bay is one of the areas that taking of fish and crabs is strictly prohibited because of mercury contamination. You can check them out at the following:

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bfds/ssd/map/pdf/upperlavacabay.pdf

Good luck with your new vehicle.
Chuck

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lavaca bay has been like that for a while now, right? I remember a sign that said to release fish because of the mercury in the water the last time I was there.....JJ

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
I'm sure.....

that Formosa, has helped them, in the last ten years........for eating, best bet, would probably be farther south or north.......

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Yeah, no doubt about that, but Alcoa by far did the damage long before Formosa came in. Formosa also has newer technology. I wrote Gov. Ann Richards when Formosa was scheduled to build there and told her not to let them in. Formosa was kicked out of Japan for polluting their environment. She didnt listen to me. That @%^$#. LOL I even have the reply letter she wrote back to me.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
J.......

new technology, means new chemicals, and trash for the environment....I'd be willing to bet, that Formosa, has done some pretty serious damage....but Alcoa existed for lots of years, with little or no regulation.......or at least enforcement of the regulations......

Personally.....I think the fishing is better down POC way ..........lol

·
21,162 Posts
No, I disagree. I think the fishing is better up around those areas. All he has to do is find your honey hole! LMAO

Oh yeah, and new technology to me means better warning systems, monitors, electronics, instruments, yada yada.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
dude....

InfamousJ said:
No, I disagree. I think the fishing is better up around those areas. All he has to do is find your honey hole! LMAO

Oh yeah, and new technology to me means better warning systems, monitors, electronics, instruments, yada yada.
I have caught any fish in so long, I'm beginning to get a stripe down my back

Really everyone knows all the honey holes over there.....

I'd be willing to be, to find salty water, he'll wind up pretty close to POC anyway.....lol

I agree, about the better monitors.......but I think there are nastier chemicals now too....with more violent reactions........

·
21,162 Posts
Well, even if he has to find saltier water towards POC, the Port Lavaca area is a good destination and place to fish no matter what people say about the pollution. The pollution is what scared the people off and left the trout to get BIG. It should turn into a fishing paradise one day and crowded with many people from Houston/Dallas/San Antonio. I can see the condos and canals going up now as I type this. I can't wait. [email protected]

Oh yeah, forgot to add that the structure in that bay system is phenomenal. Many places to hook a 10 lber. LOL again.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
pretty soon.....

InfamousJ said:
Oh yeah, forgot to add that the structure in that bay system is phenomenal. Many places to hook a 10 lber. LOL again.
the structure will be as famous as the Baffin rocks........known for holding huge trout, and the killer of many lower units.......especially around the causeway, where the pier burned. It's pretty crazy, when they removed the pilons...some they left, that are right at the water level.........sheesh.......

but for the most part, I do cast more towards POC/Seadrift......use the Lavaca Bay, and River, for more of a short trip....either afternoon, or morning.......unless it's 30 degrees, and it hasn't rained in 6 months........then the River turns on....

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
lol

yeah......but hey, if'n ya are really gonna try and fish down there.....take yer catfishin stuff.......with all this new rain........them yallers and blues'll be thick in the bay........

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what catfishun stuff? I aint gotz none. the heaviest rod I own is a medium power. LOL... I like catchin them on 12# and Medium rods. wooooo-weeeeeeee gotta love that light linein!!!...............JJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts