2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.3L silverado and its close to 200k miles and am looking to having the engine rebuilt. Well, I am looking at my options, bore it out, stroker kit etc... Does anyone here work at a shop?

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
359 Posts
man that's a LSx engine. Look online there are a million ways to increase power reliably. Mast motorsports out of Nacadoches has some really nice options.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I found A 6.0 with 38K miles for $1250. I just have to drive a few hours to look at it and bring it back.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
6.0L engine

I have a GMC Sierra with the VortecMax 6.0L engine & it is probably the best truck I have had in a long while.. The 6.0L is a hoss & gets good mileage for a 4X4, Z71 Crew Cab.

I found an article on the Hot Rod Magazine website on some mods done to this engine & it is very easy to get well over 400 HP with some fairly easy mods.. One of the best things about my engine is the Variable Cam Timing. Comp Cams has developed some new cams with this feature & they say that they make more power than anything they have ever done before.

I am going to do a few of the mods from the HRM article & may add a blower.. Edelbrock makes a nice blower kit for the Ford 5.4 and they are going to come out with one for the 6.0L.

Good luck from an old hotrodder,

Supergas

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Dynatech Headers & a Cat Back Exhaust = Hi Torque

The HRM article will give you the header part number from Dynatech which includes the hi flow cats.. this alone will give you 40 HP..

I am going to add the headers & a custom tune to my 6.0 soon...

Keep us posted, Good luck..

Supergas

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They guy thats installing it in my truck did not say he needed the harnes or ecu, He did say that I will need to get it tuned through. I am going to switch over to an electric radiator fan and a larger tranny cooler and a 373 detroit loc rear end. Its going to be a fun project.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Look into Nelson Performance in San Antonio for the tune after you get the swap finished, great results for the price and great customer service as well. Their specialty is the late model GM trucks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just had a 6.0 swapped into my 07 crew cab by a shop in Houston. They can be very mean, if you unleash them.

Its an LQ9 6.0, bored .40 over, flat top pistons, ported and polished .243 heads, tr224/112 cam, long tube headers, and a ton of transmission work. Here's the idle clip of it in my driveway. I run it through factory exhaust, and have an electric cutout. Quiet when I want, loud when I want.

·
Legend
453 Posts
There are many ways you can do this swap. As far as headers go, longtubes from a reputable place like pacesette will work with an exhaust from magnaflow corsa, etc... The swap itself is fairly simple but will require some computer time to tune it right. Luckily you look like your in the Conroe / Pasadena area so you have some of the best shops in the nation right in Houston. Nelson is good but he is in San Antonio and you need a hands on tune. Most of the shops in Houston can do this and are really good at what they do, look them up and do some research on LS1Tech.com in the Texas section for reviews and such.

A big factor in your swap is your transmission and that 4L60E will be a gonner very soon after you start putting power to it. Slingshot above said he has a ton of transmission work done, he's right. For the 4L60E to hold any kind of power, it takes a well built transmission to hold the power...

A site I would recommend looking at is www.performancetrucks.net its really usefull and you will learn a ton about what you are doing and how to get it done right.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update. I did buy a motor off a 2007 2500HD with 18k miles. It's a ly6 with VVT and the l92 heads. My tranny is the 4l60E with a Beast sunshell, kevlar band, shift kit and beefier cluches or gears that usually burn.

I am waiting until Mid march to get the swap some. All in all its about a $6k project: Engine, custom ground cam, tuninng, 90mm Drive by cable Throttle body, install and all the parts needed, 373 true tac rear end, headers, custom y pipe with hi flo cats and 2 bassani mufflers and to get the seats wrapped in leather. Beats the heck out of 60 payments of $500 for 60 months for a tundra. I plan to get the pait redone in the fall

I am not a hot rod guy but want a nice truck ;) I will definately take it to the track a few times but i am not street race type of guy. I cant see the vid due to the

Slingshot, I cant see the vid due to the firewall at work. I will check it out at home. If you want some more power, check out the l92 heads i think they are called 317s. There is a set on craigs for 550. You will need the intake manifold as well($160 on ebay)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slingshot, that truck is sic. I am going to get the electric cut outs now that I saw your setup. What MPgs are you getting, I am not worried about that on mine but just curious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts