2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Inshore, bay fishing
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m giving thought to selling my boat in a few months and just not sure of how much it should be priced at. I’ve seen anywhere from $26,000 to $40,000. I know all this is subjective and has a lot of variables but I’m asking for your thoughts on pricing. My boat is a 20 year old (2002) Tran Cat, 21’4”. When not out fishing or maintenance, it’s been kept in storage most of its life.The motor is a 2003 Yamaha 150 with about 490 hours and TRP (Twin Rotating Props) lower unit. It is in very good condition. It has a high end T-top and a front casting platform and I upgraded the electronics (Lowrance HDS 9 and Lowrance Elite 5). Much of it is newly wired with an upgraded switch panel and spreader lights. Excellent Coast Line trailer with new torsion axles and new tires. As far as I can tell, there’s no NADA valuations on Tran boats, likely because it’s a small builder. I also know it’s hard to get financing for boats this age which is another negative. The Tran Cat is an all composite hull and almost bullet proof and it's an all-around excellent fishing boat. I’m just on the fence about selling but I'm just not using as much as I thought and just sitting in storage, but with the cooler weather, I plan on taking it out on a few more outings over the next 2-3 months but for now, just trying to learn from those who have been down this road.

·
Hopelessly addicted to life on the water
253 Posts
I’m giving thought to selling my boat in a few months and just not sure of how much it should be priced at. I’ve seen anywhere from $26,000 to $40,000. I know all this is subjective and has a lot of variables but I’m asking for your thoughts on pricing. My boat is a 20 year old (2002) Tran Cat, 21’4”. When not out fishing or maintenance, it’s been kept in storage most of its life.The motor is a 2003 Yamaha 150 with about 490 hours and TRP (Twin Rotating Props) lower unit. It is in very good condition. It has a high end T-top and a front casting platform and I upgraded the electronics (Lowrance HDS 9 and Lowrance Elite 5). Much of it is newly wired with an upgraded switch panel and spreader lights. Excellent Coast Line trailer with new torsion axles and new tires. As far as I can tell, there’s no NADA valuations on Tran boats, likely because it’s a small builder. I also know it’s hard to get financing for boats this age which is another negative. The Tran Cat is an all composite hull and almost bullet proof and it's an all-around excellent fishing boat. I’m just on the fence about selling but I'm just not using as much as I thought and just sitting in storage, but with the cooler weather, I plan on taking it out on a few more outings over the next 2-3 months but for now, just trying to learn from those who have been down this road.
Honestly your best bet is to call Donny Tran at TranSport..he will shoot you straight. Also if you want to find a buyer quick, just the site I created on Facebook called TranSport Boat Owners Group. Ive got lots of people looking to get into fairly priced boats, especially the cats. good luck. I too own a 2014 Trans Cat 200 SVT with a 150 SHO. Not having any pics to go off of, id bet your looking in a ballpark of 15 to 18K conservatively.

·
Registered
Inshore, bay fishing
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly your best bet is to call Donny Tran at TranSport..he will shoot you straight. Also if you want to find a buyer quick, just the site I created on Facebook called TranSport Boat Owners Group. Ive got lots of people looking to get into fairly priced boats, especially the cats. good luck. I too own a 2014 Trans Cat 200 SVT with a 150 SHO. Not having any pics to go off of, id bet your looking in a ballpark of 15 to 18K conservatively.
Thanks, I've heard many good things about Donnie Tran and the way TranSport is run. Their reputation precedes them and I've often thought to take a short trip there to see things first hand. I'll look at the Transport group you mentioned. I don't have a good feel for pricing but will keep doing my homework. Right now is just learning time but as I mentioned earlier, probably will list it in a month or two. It will be hard to part with when I cross that bridge. Thanks for taking time to respond.

·
Registered
Inshore, bay fishing
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Call Donnie. Really good folks. I had Donnie do a prebuy on mine and the transaction turned out well. He only charged a few dollars for a full inspection and water test. He pointed out the issues, gave a recommended buy price, and I bought the boat. TranSport........good people, good boats.

·
Registered
Inshore, bay fishing
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your only option is to get Tran to write you a statement of value. They purposely keep the values of their boats off of NADA so they can set their own value.
I didn't know about the statement of value thing. Good to know. Thanks.

Reactions: Jerry713

·
Hopelessly addicted to life on the water
253 Posts
Thanks, I've heard many good things about Donnie Tran and the way TranSport is run. Their reputation precedes them and I've often thought to take a short trip there to see things first hand. I'll look at the Transport group you mentioned. I don't have a good feel for pricing but will keep doing my homework. Right now is just learning time but as I mentioned earlier, probably will list it in a month or two. It will be hard to part with when I cross that bridge. Thanks for taking time to respond.
No problem. You should definitely go meet Donny and see their place. They stay bowed up, and are some of the nicest people youll ever meet. And the numbers I gave you were sight unseen, but one thing I forgot to mention was that in todays market anything is possible. 2 to 3 years ago that boat was probably anywhere from 15 to 20 but these days may even be closer to 23 to 25

·
Registered
Inshore, bay fishing
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem. You should definitely go meet Donny and see their place. They stay bowed up, and are some of the nicest people youll ever meet. And the numbers I gave you were sight unseen, but one thing I forgot to mention was that in todays market anything is possible. 2 to 3 years ago that boat was probably anywhere from 15 to 20 but these days may even be closer to 23 to 25
Well, that's why I asked for the advice, even if it hurts a bit :) I've seen a lot of boats priced unrealistically high (at least to me). I have a good amount in it with the upgrades and work and trailer etc but I knew when I bought it, it wasn't a money making endeavor. I just wanted to fish. Thankfully, it's paid for and no real rush. The storage is $140.00 per month and the only thing costing me, and it's close by to tinker or check on it when not using. Well, it also has a 60 gal tank and that hurts when I fill up, but I usually get 3-4 good outings before needing to fill up. Your input is much valued.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts