2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a slab dining table. Am looking for lumber slabs at least 20" wide and 8'-10' long; 6/4 thick. Wider would be better. First choice would be walnut, but I would look at any other species.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You could probably get a piece that big out of pecan at Wampler Manufacturing in Bastrop. It's on state hwy. 95 between bastrop & elgin. Pretty good drive from Pearland tho. The 20" thing might be problem, may have to laminate two pieces.

Lm

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Dang, do you know how much a slab of Walnut (or almost anything else) 6"X20"X120" would cost?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Try Houston hardwoods. Will be expensive. We have a pecan tree down on a rent house you can have if you cut it up and haul it away.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kenny said:
Dang, do you know how much a slab of Walnut (or almost anything else) 6"X20"X120" would cost?
6/4....1 1/2" thick (rough cut).

Yeah, there is an outfit in California called Baker hardwoods whose wood **** I look at on a regular basis....around $2,500. There is also a place that sells mesquite for about $2 grand...was hoping I could find a better price at a local mill after the storm, though.

Almost enough to make me spend $800 on a Granberg chainsaw mill. I already have a 120CC chainsaw my wife is scared to let me use.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
my nieghbor has the main trunk left of a walnut tree that blew down during the storm, that would probably sell pretty reasonable, if you have a way to get it cut up and dried. It is on the near north side of houston, close to hardy toll rd.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There is a guy in Snyder TX that has a sawmill & builds mesquite furniture.

Ranch Furniture - 325-868-0126, Billy Ray could probably cut what you need out of mesquite - If he has anything that big.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
M & G Sawmill Huntsville

This guy is west of Huntsville off Hwy 30. Quite a bit of mesquite, pecan, and walnut. Prices are probably comparable to most hardwood supplys, but he can cut whatever thickness you want.

I just deal with his scrap pile for BBQ wood.

http://www.mgsawmill.com/

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts