2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can ya'll suggest any good guide services/lodges up that way? Wanting to take some guys on a good flooded timber hunt for a couple of days and get some green. Want to be on the other end of the guide world for a few days lol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went this year and was not satisfied at all.If you go make sure you are going to hunt timber, otherwise you will be in a ricefield and kill lots and lots of spoonbills.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I havent heard too many good reports from Arkansas this season....I think it was just off this year....

My suggestion is to find a place with access to timber AND fields.... schedule 3 days of hunting..... adjust to where the birds are....

But you already know this....lol

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys...yeah i have seen a bunch that have rice field hunts but i dont want that. I want flooded timber for sure. We can hunt rice fields and private ponds all day around here.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I was about to book a hunt with these guys in January - http://www.stuttgarthuntingclub.com/

I've hunted with them 4 times and had world class timber hunts most mornings. Unfortunately, the Bayou that backs to their property flooded with over 13" of rain and the water is now up to the tops of their blinds. They cancelled all of the balance of the season.

I've been to wildlife farms and wouldn't recommend it for the hunting. Not really timber, but one heck of a nice place.

Now I'm in the same place - looking for a place to do a timber hunt!

Patrick

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...yeah i have seen a bunch that have rice field hunts but i dont want that. I want flooded timber for sure. We can hunt rice fields and private ponds all day around here.
You say that until you stand around in the timber for 5 hours and dont see anything....

Helll, I can save you travel expenses and let you sit in some flooded trees here and let you see that.... haha

Example.... My buddy just hunted probably one of the most exclusive, expensive and sought after properties in duck hunting today. First time its been hunted since they began waterfowl management. They only sell lifetime memberships and the dues are a one time payment of $1 Million (yes, you read that correct) Mossy Oak brought in 2 camera crews to film and help build up hype and popularity for the property.

I talked to him the night before the first hunt, and he said they estimated there to be 250,000 ducks on the 7500 acre property.

The first morning, the entire group of hunters shot 11 limits of straight greenheads and some mixed bag limits thrown in there, totalling 20 limits I think, all out of the timber.

The second morning, there were only 5 limits of ducks killed for the total bunch of hunters, still all out of the timber.

The 3rd day, my buddy and his group moved to the fields and shot limits, while everybody else stayed in the timber and did horrible.

Ducks move, so leave your options open. You dont want to be in the timber twiddling your thumbs while everybody is blasting away on the fields. Many of the outfitters offer both styles of hunting.

Timber is WAY more awesome than shooting them in the fields (to me anyway), but the birds arent always in there.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts