2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get a new 12guage for upcoming duck season. i really dont want to spend over 400 dollars but i do want a good reliable shotgun. ive been told to get the benelli nova or remington 870. i do want to be able to shoot up to 3 1/2inch shells. i have also heard a few good things about stoeger? any ideas?? thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Browning BPS. I hunted with one for almost 20 years before upgrading to a Beretta Extrema. Now I use it as a backup. Saturday I actually put the Beretta away and shot the BPS while dove hunting. I've owned several and never had any issues with any of them. You can pick one up on Gunbroker in your price range or at the gun show this weekend.

·
Has been known to backlash toilet paper.
1,650 Posts
coastalgriff said:
Browning BPS. I hunted with one for almost 20 years before upgrading to a Beretta Extrema. Now I use it as a backup. Saturday I actually put the Beretta away and shot the BPS while dove hunting. I've owned several and never had any issues with any of them. You can pick one up on Gunbroker in your price range or at the gun show this weekend.
Funny thing. I shot a Remington Wingmaster 870 plain barrel that I bought as a kid in 1975 for $109 as I recall. Try doing that now, heh.

I am a rightie but shoot lefty. I used to wear glasses but got the operation and was seeing 20/15. With no glasses and a right hand eject I was getting the little black disks (powder) in my eyes.

So I buy a BPS, bottom eject. I never could hit anything with it. There was NOTHING wrong with the gun, I liked it but it wasn't what I grew up with and shot for so many years... It simply did not fit nor balance the same. I bought a leftie Rem Express 870, the cheaper version of 870. I can hit again but the balance and fit are not exactly the same. What it seems to be is the distance from trigger to butt of the stock and maybe a slight angle. The BPS has a thicker grip.

I am sure that with practice I could have gotten better with the BPS but I liked the feel of the old 870 best.

To sum it up I guess what I am saying is that it is good to get a gun and stay with it, work with it until it is part of you. I don't think it matters what it is so much. I do know that using my wingmaster for about 10 years and ALOT of shooting it is like pointing my finger at a bird when I shoot.

·
Vendor
1,583 Posts
Get the Nova. In the process of hunting I've submerged mine, used it as a shovel, caked it completely in mud and grit, covered it in ice and it has kept working through it all. It is one tough gun and you can't hardly beat it for the money.

I would recommend you go with the nova over the supernova as it is cheaper and far fewer people have had problems with them as opposed to some scattered issues with the super nova.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
No matter what anyone here says, go pick all of them up with all of the different options and shoulder them. Both the Nova and the 870 are solid, reliable guns, but both fit differently. Close your eyes, mount the gun like you're ready to shoot, then open your eyes. Is the sight plane perfectly lined up with your eye so that you shoot wherever you are looking, or do you have to adjust your aim to make it line up? On a gun that is too short, you will see the bead and part of top of the barrell when you open your eyes. On a gun that is too long, you can't see the bead. When it's just right, you only see the bead. And remember a little too short is better than a little too long... because you will be wearing a coat and extra clothing.

Accurate wingshooting is all about instincts. If a gun doesn't fit properly, you have to think about adjusting, and you will miss more often. When both guns are reliable, choose the one that fits best.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 2 Novas, and they are every bit as reliable as everyone says, (mine gets cleaned at the end of every duck season whether it needs it or not.) :) I do have one complaint, and this is probably the old infantry soldier in me, but the NOVA is a very heavy gun, compared to the 870. I love mine, especially with a 24" barrel,but both of them were given to me. If I were to buy one it would be an 870 express, or something lighter.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Add another vote for the Browning BPS. My dad bought a 20ga and a 12ga way back before I could hunt and used them and now I use the 12ga and they have never had any problems. Beautiful guns and work really well. They are probably older than 25yrs.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
What he said. WORD FOR WORD!!!! There is nothing more important than the fit of the gun. NOTHING.

I will say this about the 870 however: there's a reason why it's the most used shotgun by law enforcement. Also while I was repping for Remington I got to tour their factory in Ilion, N.Y. and in the entry way there was an 870 hanging on the wall with a motor hooked up to it actuating the action continuously. I asked how long it had been up there. They said about 5 years or so.
NUF SED but only if it fits you.

THE JAMMER
capn said:
No matter what anyone here says, go pick all of them up with all of the different options and shoulder them. Both the Nova and the 870 are solid, reliable guns, but both fit differently. Close your eyes, mount the gun like you're ready to shoot, then open your eyes. Is the sight plane perfectly lined up with your eye so that you shoot wherever you are looking, or do you have to adjust your aim to make it line up? On a gun that is too short, you will see the bead and part of top of the barrell when you open your eyes. On a gun that is too long, you can't see the bead. When it's just right, you only see the bead. And remember a little too short is better than a little too long... because you will be wearing a coat and extra clothing.

Accurate wingshooting is all about instincts. If a gun doesn't fit properly, you have to think about adjusting, and you will miss more often. When both guns are reliable, choose the one that fits best.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
also, I still shoot my original 870 that my parents gave me as my first shotgun in 12g. This gun has been through some of the nastiest duck/goose hunts, to some of the hottest dove hunting ive even been through. I cant say enough about the 870. its truly an american staple for the outdoorsman. if you opt with the 870, get the super which handles 3 1/2 inch shells so you can reach out and touch those farther away. just my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I myself shoot an 870. Love it, if I have to get another shot gun it will be an 870. Remington does make an 870 for the waterfowler, it is a little more expensive, it is also camo coated and will shoot 3 1/2's. I may look into getting one this year.

·
Banned
682 Posts
stay away from stoger they are and excuse my language a piece of s*%$ the nova and the 870 are both solid guns i prefer the 870 myself because almost every gun closet has or has had one in it but my suggestion is to try both and see which one feels better and go with that one be sure it is the one you want because you have to live with it all season

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
BS on the stoeger being a POS my sons been doing some serious, all out duck hunting w/ his for years now. no problems at all. best gun on the market for around $400.00. its even camoed. cant beat this gun especially for a auto. only thing is that it doesnt shoot 3 1/2" . just 3" 's. believe me if u want a in-expensive auto loader go w/ the stoeger model 2000.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
IMHO the Mossberg 930 auto is the sleeper of all autos. It's a $400 gun that comes with screw chokes and stock shims like the $1100 Beretta 391. I have been shooting mine for 2 years without one FTF or a single jam.

The gas system is extremely simple and reliable. The 930 has the balance similar to the 1100/1187 Remmy. Mossberg hit a home run with this one.

·
Banned
682 Posts
just personal opinion about the stoger i guide everyday of the waterfowl season and that gun (stoger m2000) could not even hang through teal season but i am not going to get into a debate about it everyone has their own opinion that is mine i shoot a winchester superx2 now and that by far is the best shotgun i have ever owned

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago and ended up spending a little more money and got the Beretta 390 ST at Walmart. I've put about 100 rounds through the gun and i'm extremley pleased.

·
Banned
938 Posts
THE JAMMER said:
Also while I was repping for Remington I got to tour their factory in Ilion, N.Y. and in the entry way there was an 870 hanging on the wall with a motor hooked up to it actuating the action continuously. I asked how long it had been up there. They said about 5 years or so.
NUF SED but only if it fits you.

THE JAMMER
i wouldn't put too much thought on that example. I'm sure that was a nice clean brand new action that was just put up there with a motor for the intention of impressing people. Chances are that thing will last forever up there. Most other brands actions would probably do the same. It's when you put it through the very day actual real world uses that affects an action. Get some dirt in there, a little mud and you will see it not last as long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts