2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on purchasing a spinning combo for catching specks and spanish macks. My limit is around 150 for everything. I like to throw artificial lures and freelining shrimp. What reel and rod do you suggest I get. How many lbs should my rod be??

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Stay in the 10-15# range and use shock leaders...

I really like the New Quantum spinnning reels but they are priced a little high for your budget...

Quantum® CaboPT™ Saltwater Spinning Reels

Corrosive sea water and big, super-aggressive fish spell trouble for ordinary tackle. That's why Quantum's engineers intentionally overbuilt this light saltwater reel, with an exclusive Saltgard™ 6-layer protective finish, custom polymer/stainless bearings, heat-defeating ceramic drag and ultra-smooth PT™ gears bathed in Hot Sauce™ lubricant. The goal? Zero chance for failure. Ever.

• 1-piece aluminum frame and side-cover
  • Forged aluminum spool
  • Saltgard™ finish
  • Guaranteed unbreakable TiMag™ salt magnetic bail system
  • Forged brass/stainless gearing
  • 8- or 9-bearing system
  • MAGLOK™ magnetic Continuous Anti-Reverse™
  • Magnum™ ceramic drag
  • Stainless steel handle
  • Includes bag and wrench/knot tool

but the little brother is also sweet!!!!

Quantum® Boca PT™ Saltwater Spinning Reels

Corrosive sea water and big, super-aggressive fish spell trouble for ordinary tackle. That's why Quantum engineers intentionally overbuilt this rugged line of light saltwater reels, with an exclusive Saltgard™ 6-layer protective finish, custom polymer/stainless bearings, heat-defeating ceramic drags and ultra-smooth PT™ gears bathed in Hot Sauce™ lubricant. The goal? Zero chance for failure. Ever.

• 1-piece aluminum frame and side-cover
  • Forged aluminum spool with concave skirt
  • Saltgard™ finish
  • Guaranteed unbreakable TiMag™ Salt magnetic bail system
  • 5-bearing system
  • MAGLOK™ magnetic Continuous Anti-Reverse™
  • Multi-stack Magnum™ Ceramic drag
  • 4 ball bearings plus one roller bearing
  • Stainless steel handle
  • Includes bag and wrench/knot tool

John

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If you are near the sports authority near westheimer, you could pick up a falcon coastal rod for 45 dollars and a penn 4400ss for 50 dollars. this would be a steal. Picked one up last friday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My brother in law just turned me on to Stick'em rods and I can't believe they can sell a rod that nice for $70. It is amazing what you feel with a sensitive rod. The website is www.stickemrods.com.

I'd take the other 70 and consider a few different reels. For trout and working top water baits I like the Shimano symetre 2500 because it is a very fast and light reel (75 at academy). You will have to use baided line because the spool is small. The Saraha by shimano is just as fast in the 4000 series and will hold a bit more line for only 55-60.

I also just bought a Okuma EF 30 (epixor) for less than 50 and it is very nice. I originally got the cheaper model by them and brought it back.

Good Luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Spincast an option?

If you don't absolutely have to have a spinning reel, I highly recommend the Daiwa Goldcast spincast reels.......just as easy to operate as a spinning reel and extremely durable.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I 2nd the Quantums. I use the Quantum Cabo PT, but it is priced @ $189
I also use a Team Daiwa Advantage 2500. It is a strong light weight reel...still priced @ $140ish.

You might want to take a look at the Shimano Sahara and Symmetre (sp?). These are good reels for under $100.

As for a rod.....a good entry level one might be a Falcon Coastal or a Castaway Saltwater version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts