2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company matches dollar for dollar contributions to qualified charities. The qualified charities can not be religious, college, or al queda based. I've already given to the Red Cross and would like to support something smaller. If you run a needy 503c or know a worthwhile one, please post up. Also, it has to be on the pre-approved "list". If your charity is not on the list, I just gotta ask them to put you on. They will probably just verify your 503c status. I'm looking for something like "take a kid fishing" or "texas reefing project" (neither are on the list).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out " The Bridge Over Troubled Waters" in Pasadena. It's a crisis center for battered & sexually abused women and children. They house some 75 families there to this day. I am heavily involved with their cause.
I put on a golf tournament every year to raise funds and donations.
If you call ask for Amy Earmest. She is the director there and would appreciate whatever you can assist.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Texas Flyfishers of Houston, 501c3 for education. Here is a link to our site -

http://www.texasflyfishers.org/

Our latest project is a Veterans Outreach program working with the VA and giving vets an opportunity to learn a little about the sport as well as getting them out in the field and putting what they have learned to action.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
We belong to an organization called "Kids Unlimited". It's sort of like the "Sunshine Kids", but some of their most popular activities are centered on fishing tourneys. Best of all, they include siblings (when our youngest was sick at age 2, his older brother, who was 4, was also affected. Sunshine kids didn't include the rest of the family and it was just too hard on his older brother).

Anyway, KU does several fishing tourneys each year, including a real hoot of a bass tournament on Fayette Co. lake and an offshore fishing trip. The also have a small "ranch" in pearland that has a small pond the TWPD stocks with fish for them each year (catfish tourney).

The bass tournament is catch, measure and release, but volunteers dress the catfish for the kids. Lots of fun. Here's a pic of my youngest, now ten years from his transplant:

Here is a link to their website: www.kidsunlimited.org
They are a 501(c)3.

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
There are quite a few worthwhile organizations out there that need support. I'm glad to see your interest in supporting them. Here's another one...

http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/ss/

They do so much to promote those same values in youth that we as sportsmen take pride in.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here's a second vote for Kids Unlimited! A truly great cause ran by the best people you will ever meet. All of them have been touched by cancer in one way or another and all of them are extremely passionate about making young people happy during their battles with cancer. Their ranch is the perfect place for a kid to get away and have fun outdoors while taking their minds off the horrors of hospitals, chemo and medicine.

The Big 3 Big Fish tournament was designed solely to raise money for these folks and we did a pretty good job last year. Our goal was to double our success this year, but Hurricane Ike has forced us to indefinitely postpone this year's tournament.

Anything you can do for these kids will be greatly appreciated by everyone!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts