2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a "throw down" 22 rifle that will shoot shorts, longs and LR shells. Don't want to spend to much. Not even worried about how it looks cosmetically. So long as it is in solid working order. It's just for my 5 year old son to shoot at the deer camp. I like for him to be able to shoot shorts. They are quieter and are less of a down range or ricochet hazard. And none of my 22 rifles will shoot shorts.

Let me know if you hav anything.

TXPalerider

·
proficient exprofessional
1,159 Posts
Take a look at the chipmunk 22

Rogue Rifle Company
:smile:

Ditto, = what I got my son at that age, worked out gr8 (gave a trigger job to smooth pull). Can't offer his for sale, but good suggestion. In stock at Bailey's House of Guns.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,258 Posts
Take a look at those Gamo air guns. Pretty simple to operate, and they shoot pretty good at 1200 FPS. Even though .22 ammo is still pretty cheap, you will probably save some money on ammo vs. pellets as well. I think you can get them in either .177 or .22 and they are much quieter than even the .22 short.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I 2nd the recommendation for the chipmunk. These are sized just right for a kid his age. That is hugely important after all the difficulties I've had with both of my kids. :headknock I saw one recently priced at about $150. That's not bad at all considering it's going to fit him like a glove.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
another consideration as far ammo is concerned are the CB's......they are very quiet....sound like a pellet gun......they are also sub-sonic.....great for plinking

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I got one you can have, it's a youth model single chottt, synthetic stock, has a safety lock..... no scope, bought' the girls a lever action Marlin 22, it's sitting in the barn, use it the otherday on some roosters!!!!

·
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a look at the chipmunk 22

Rogue Rifle Company
I actually already have a Chipmunk that he shoots. However, with it being single shot, it makes loading and unloading very tedious. I was hoping to find a bolt action, lever action or auto that would at least hold a few shells at a time.

another consideration as far ammo is concerned are the CB's......they are very quiet....sound like a pellet gun......they are also sub-sonic.....great for plinking
Ironically, that is the bulk of what he shoots from the Chipmunk I have. Specifically, we shoot the Aguila .22 Super Colibri and they are awesome for plinking. No more powerful that a nice pellet gun and makes him feel "big" because he's shooting a "real gun." :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
TX PaleRider - visit a few pawn shops or local gun shows and find you a Remington Targetmaster model 510 http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/rimfire/model_510.asp

It has a safety that automatically engages as you cock the action plus it can be accurate as heck.

If I wasn't too attached to mine, I might be interested in selling it to you but I seriously doubt I'll ever part with it.

Also, after you buy a rifled 510 you can go on the search for a smoothbore or routledge barrel and shoot some shotshell. Hang out with your boy over by a pond and take out the dragonfly's flying over in the summer - SUPERFUN!

Good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Marlin-glenfield model 60 for $100 if you are interested. It is blue with a wooden stock and is in great shape. I think it only shoots long rifle.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Marlin-glenfield model 60 for $100 if you are interested. It is blue with a wooden stock and is in great shape. I think it only shoots long rifle.

Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks, but, I already have several 22's that shoot LR. I am specifically wanting one that will shoot shorts.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I found a winchester lever action at bass pro about 3 years ago that will shoot all 3. Very accurate and has adjustable fixed sites. You might be able to find one still. The only bad thing in your case would be that it doesn't have a safety except that you can half cock the hammer.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Not a throw down and porbably more than you want to spend but...this from Remington's Website: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_572_fieldmaster.asp

For those sportsmen who still love the look and feel of classic rimfire rifles, our Model 572™ BDL™ Fieldmaster® and Model 552™ BDL Speedmaster® are the finest available.

The versatile Model 572 BDL Fieldmaster is one of the most popular pump-action 22 rimfires made in America today. It handles 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle cartridges interchangeably. Other features include big-game sights, a positive cross-bolt safety and a grooved receiver for scope mounts. Also, the Model 572 Smoothbore BDL Fieldmaster. It has all the features of our standard Model 572 22 LR pump action rifle, only we've added a 21" smoothbore 22 caliber, bead-sighted barrel capable of handling 22 shot cartridges. Speaking of versatility, now in its 50th year of production, the lightning-quick Model 552 BDL Speedmaster is the only American-made 22 autoloader that handles 22 short, long and long rifle cartridges interchangeably. It's also equipped with iron sights, a positive cross-bolt safety and a receiver grooved for scope mounts.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not a throw down and porbably more than you want to spend but...this from Remington's Website: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_572_fieldmaster.asp

For those sportsmen who still love the look and feel of classic rimfire rifles, our Model 572™ BDL™ Fieldmaster® and Model 552™ BDL Speedmaster® are the finest available.

The versatile Model 572 BDL Fieldmaster is one of the most popular pump-action 22 rimfires made in America today. It handles 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle cartridges interchangeably. Other features include big-game sights, a positive cross-bolt safety and a grooved receiver for scope mounts. Also, the Model 572 Smoothbore BDL Fieldmaster. It has all the features of our standard Model 572 22 LR pump action rifle, only we've added a 21" smoothbore 22 caliber, bead-sighted barrel capable of handling 22 shot cartridges. Speaking of versatility, now in its 50th year of production, the lightning-quick Model 552 BDL Speedmaster is the only American-made 22 autoloader that handles 22 short, long and long rifle cartridges interchangeably. It's also equipped with iron sights, a positive cross-bolt safety and a receiver grooved for scope mounts.
the marlin 981T will shoot all 3 and so will henrys 22 lever action.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,603 Posts
Shame you didn't call me and tell me you were looking for one. I've got a mint Henry .22 lever rifle that shoots very well and shoots shorts, longs and long rifles. Would have made you a good deal on it too.

:(

TH

·
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shame you didn't call me and tell me you were looking for one. I've got a mint Henry .22 lever rifle that shoots very well and shoots shorts, longs and long rifles. Would have made you a good deal on it too.

:(

TH
I haven't done anything yet. I'm still looking.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks, but, I already have several 22's that shoot LR. I am specifically wanting one that will shoot shorts.
Just buy some CB longs, quiter than shorts and will work in long rifle only guns. If it's an automatic they still will work they just dont eject , you have to cock after every shot, which is pretty good for begginers anyway.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I haven't done anything yet. I'm still looking.
I've got a real nice Winchester 69A that shoots shorts, longs and long rifles and a Marlin too. Bolt actions, the Winchester is clip fed, the Marlin is tube fed. The Marlin is a little rougher. I should be heading to George West in March and could bring'em down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts