2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to tap into the great 2-Cool knowledge bank as I know didley about flat screens. I have about $1000 to spend on a TV. I'm looking at two right now. Both are 46-47" LCDs. I've read where the 120hz TVs are worth the $200-300 price increase over the 60hz models.

TV #1 is a Phillips 120hz from Wally World. I also have $200 in Wal-Mart gift cards to add to my $1000 budget. Planning on buying a Blueray also.

TV #2 is at Conn's. I saw an ad in the paper today and put it on the "go see" list. It's an LG 240hz for $999.

Between these two, which would be the better TV? Is the 240hz a big deal compared to the 120hz? I'm kind of partial to Phillips stuff and I've never bought anything from Conn's.

BTW, I went on the AVS.com forums and I got a migraine reading about LCD TVs!

If there is a better option in my price range, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all of you.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I don't think the 240hz is going to help you that much with a 46". I have never owned a Phillips product either. I'm thinking the Wally Mart option will get you more bang for your buck.

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
The 240hz LCD will have fewer motion artifacts (pixelation) than the 120hz set. If you watch a lot of sports and/or action films that could make a noticeable difference to you.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the 240hz is going to help you that much with a 46". I have never owned a Phillips product either. I'm thinking the Wally Mart option will get you more bang for your buck.
I'm leaning towards the Phillips. I don't watch a lot of sports, and I'm replacing an older tube TV so the bar is set pretty low. I just want to watch movies and hook up my suround sound.

The gal at the counter said to hold off buying a Blueray until after Christmas because Wally World was going to discount them another $40-$50. Who knows.....

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I agree with Slopoke. Also, I have found that LG actually makes a pretty good product. I have a Samsung 46" DLP, and its an older 60hz I think. I can definately tell the difference when looking at the faster ones in the store. I wont be replacing it any time soon, but when I do, it will be a faster one, and have the newer LED screen. Those things are amazing, but still way out of my price range.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
The 240hz will be better for sporting events and movies. Also get LG. I don't know anything about Phillips but have heard nothing but good to positive things about LG and their TV's especially their warranty.

And once you start watching movies in Blueray you will never go back.

Also in LCD I'd go with Samsung, LG or Panasonic before I went with a Phillips. I'd actually lean towards Samsung or LG because word in the industry that those two companies absorbed alot of the engineers and designers from Pioneer after they announced they were getting out of the TV business and there innovation technology was highly regarded.

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
Get the LG 240 Randy. I got one in the 55" version not too long ago and bought a bose surround to go with it. Very nice. Check Fry's though they had the best price when I shopped.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
don't buy an LG. Their service is horrible. I bought a DVD player/burner from them a couple of years ago. It stopped working 32 days after I bought it. Best buy said anything over 30 days is a manufacturer warranty which I can definitely understand. I called LG and got the runaround for about 4 days. The net/net was they wanted me to send it in and pay to have it refurbished (because a warranty to them doesn't mean squat) at the cost of about 50-60% of what the unit cost new! :mad:

I threw it in the trash!

I have never bought another LG product since and I never will.

They have lots thousands of potential business from me!!!!

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Stay with the big names unless you want a warranty nightmare or disposible product. Sony & Samsung have great service networks.

Also, never use a gift card or debit card to buy a TV. Use your credit card to pay in full & you will double the manufactures warranty with most credit cards.

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
I bought a Sony a couple of months ago and had to return it because it wasn't compatible with Direct TV. Or at least that was the excuse given for it's terrible picture quality. Went with a Visio, 240hz and the picture is perfect. Bought at Sam's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1080 from our local Sears outlet store. Took three day to get with no shipping fee. Wally World does not carry this particular model but Best buy does. Sears was $ 999.00 and Best Buy was $ 1299.00 for the same tv. The picture is great without HD satellite feed. Two years ago LCD was cheaper than Plasma but now that's reversed and good news for the Plasma fans. Good Shopping and Merry Christmas, Jerry

·
Fish, Eat, Sleep...REPEAT!!
476 Posts
Go with the 240, put off the blue ray (HD movies on demand) and put it toward a sound bar.
I got one that plugs right into the tv and a wireless sub...sounds AMAZING...you would think it was surrond sound...but much, much, much less hassle...just plug in the tv and sit back and relax!!

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
get the LG 240hz...I had a 120hz samsung BUT I got sick of how weird it looked when the quarterback would throw a bullet or watching nascar, it was kind of trippy. The 240hz does not do this.

Also, make sure you invest in a good set up program for your tv. I can assure you this alone will make you SO MUCH HAPPIER with the picture/color quality.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have two LCD's. One is a 40" Samsung 120hz and the picture is amazing! The other is a Sharp 32" 60hz and the picture is not near as clear. My next one will be a 240hz

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I have been looking at a whole lot of TV's recently, and the Samsung LED 1080P is the only way to go. It will last 4x longer than the regular LCD screens.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Go with the 240hz. I like LG - I own 3. I like blueray - I own 1.

My only thoughts ...
Go and watch them both.
For at least 20 minutes or so.
Watch it from every angle. Watch different types of programming.

Then make your decision.

Once the tv is decided upon, then move on to blueray and sound.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Part of the issue is what is the source broadcast in. Here is an explanitation that may help:
The standard middle of the pack HD TV will generally have an advertised resolution of 1080i, or 720p. Here is where the "i" or "p" tag is important to understand. Even though one has a higher number, it is an interlaced number. 720p shows more lines of resolution per refresh (720), where 1080i only shows 540 lines of resolution per refresh (two refreshes to make the whole picture). Which is better? It depends on what you watch most. 1080i is showing you the full picture (assuming your source is 1080p), but it only shows you half the picture per refresh. So it takes two refreshes to display the full picture. Your eye can't see this, but if the image on screen has fast movement (sports), you will see artifacts or blocky splotches. 720p will instead show the full image in a single refresh, but scaled down to its lower resolution. While some of the finer detail is lost, no artifacts or blocks will distort the image when there are fast moving objects on screen.

That said I have a Samsung 55" LCD 120hz with 1080p that is great for most things. Fast pans in sports and some broadcast HD (ESPN) seem to have more issues with the artifacts you see. HD NBC seems best for sports. My cable provider offers either 720p or 1080i. I have experminted with 720p and it does make the artifacts smoother in fast action or pans.
Bottom line is I replaced the 40" Samsung 60hz and the difference is amazing.

Get the 120/240 LCD or LED as plazma has higher electricity demands.
Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 30 Posts