2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a delightful visit here at the casa with GalvBay and his lovely Karen. He loaded the old geezer up with a boxful of mesquite..Bobby, looks like I'm gonna have to learn how to turn sumthin besides pens now..:) Some of these chunks are just too pretty to whack up into pen blanks...

Many thanks, Jim...gonna go out in the 'shop' (LOL) and whack out a few today and tomorrow..Guess I got no excuse not to buy that chuck now...:tongue:

Gracias again....and I plumb forgot to MAKE Karen take that picture of the boat if she really wants it...You can probably build a frame for it..LOL....It's an 'Original Doyle' and in 10 or 20 years prolly gonna be worth about ten bucks..

The Elder Jim :D

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Jim...it was great finally catching up with you today. You have a nice shop set-up and I know it's going to grow and get bigger! I hope you can put that mesquite to good use. The nice thing about that wood is all the mess ups can go in the smoker. PLEASE put our name on the boat painting! j&k

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
galvbay said:
Jim...it was great finally catching up with you today. You have a nice shop set-up and I know it's going to grow and get bigger! I hope you can put that mesquite to good use. The nice thing about that wood is all the mess ups can go in the smoker. PLEASE put our name on the boat painting! j&k

Pleasure was all mine, Jim...You got the painting if you want it...and you beat my Son to it..He grabs everything halfway decent about boats/water I turn out to decorate his condo in Playa..He is one CHEAP booger...and prolly makes three times what I can scratch out..but at least, neither of us has to take care of the other ..LOL. (I'll tell him "hands off" that one IF he ever visits again..prolly not till Thanksgiving .LOL)

Whupped out a tarpon pen this PM from your mesquite..Really came out beautiful. Also screwed up the pakula blank trying to cut it for another one of the BIG pens..Forgot the tubes were different lengths..LOL..Just finished cutting and drilling and tubing some of that mexican ebony..Gonna give it a try..It sure is soft wood...felt almost like charcoal.. If it's a success, I'll post up a pix manana....if I succeed in skrewing it up then my career as a LARGE pen turner is OVER...too much thinkin' involved with them..:rotfl:

Great to finally meet you and a pleasure to meet Karen...

Done for today....Jim:tongue:

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
All that great mesquite and your still turning pens.:) I been turning another birdhouse between centers. Thought I would try and see if I could do it without the chuck. I like it better with the chuck but it works between centers. I will have pictures Monday. I got to take middle grand daughter home tomorrow.

I also made a couple of poly pens today but they have to dry before I make pens out of them. I put a clear coat on top of the plastic. Trying something else. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts