2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a couple of days fishing with my brother around the 3 Islands area (roughly halfway between Port Isabel and Port Mansfield.) We had extremely low tides both mornings that kept us off our favorite flats but we had still a great time and managed all the box fish we needed - 4 reds and 8 solid trout with lots of throwbacks and laughs mixed in.

We wade fish almost exclusively and I did have one of my most memorable wades on Tuesday. Throwing a gold/black Spit'n Image I caught three beautiful reds between 18" and 22" and had two or three other explosive strikes, all in the span of about 20 minutes. Couldn't have cared less that only one was a keeper. Living in Dallas I have to make the most of my saltwater opportunities and for me that means not how many I can catch but how many on a topwater. For me there's just no thrill like it.

Am I the only one who throws the Spit'n Image? From what I hear it may have been discontinued (?) but for years I have had a bunch of friends who fish the Texas coast and have read several forums but I almost never hear it mentioned. I have tried all the usual suspects - She Dog, Spook, etc. but find the Spit'n Image easier to work and that I miss fewer fish with it than with a She Dog. Of course I'm also a firm believer that the best bait to throw is the one you have confidence in so a lot of my conviction could be purely emotional.

Anyway it was a great trip and since it will probably be next summer before I get back down there I thought I'd post my one LLM report for the year.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I always include a spit N' Image in my wade box... One of my very best days ever was with a Spit N' Image... They don't make the one I like any more though it had only 1 ball bearing in it instead of the small bb's and it was an excaliber series Spit N' IMage... Congrats on the catch!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
salty_waders said:
were you near the channel?
We were on a flat that is bordered by the intracoastal on one side and a secondary east/west channel on another. With the tide coming up the bait (and the chicken trout) were thick.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Great report, you've definetely got it down. Nothing like the explosion of a red hitting that topwater or getting a glimpse of a big yellow mouth hitting it on top... Congrats on a great trip.
PS. Its crazy how low the tides have been, making a high tide what it normally should be.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Spittin' Image, especially under calmer conditions. Sometimes I think a quiter bait like that has an advantage when the wind isn't pumping. I always keep one in my wading box. C

Congrats on the catch!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
"I'm a big fan of the Spittin' Image, especially under calmer conditions. Sometimes I think a quiter bait like that has an advantage when the wind isn't pumping. I always keep one in my wading box. C"

Dito, I like the chrome with blue back model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts