2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about what all anybody has been seeing in and around Llano co.? I have been skunked 4 sits and have yet to see a deer. Friday I had 2 stag bucks come in at 8-8:30 am. They were on my game camera, only I was not there. The recent rains have greened up the pastures and the acorns are on the ground. Just curious If anybody is having more success than I. Grunting and alittle rattling have not produced either. I guess I will keep trying. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hunting in llano is hard right now. I did see few deer come into the feeders this weekend, but it is very random. Several of the feeders went untouched all weekend, judging by the corn left on the ground. I think it is time to get back to basics, and hunt known travel paths, and maybe try some still hunting and drives. I also tried some rattling this weekend, and only got one small buck to come to me after trying three different areas. Good luck out there. It is a challange!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I hunted hard this week with 10 total sits. I was skunked 3 times. I am used to seeing 5-10 animals per sit, unless a big sounder of hogs com in an it is more. I was lucky to see 1 animal a sit this week. The game is coming into the area but not hitting corn. I had 2 deer in those 10 sits actually come to corn.
Corn is stacking up and I have turned the feeders was back. We need a freezer. It is still bright green in Llano...

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Slow hunting

It was a very dry and hot summer this year and received a lot of rain just the past two months. The place is green as can be with plenty of water. Looks like spring time there and the ground is moist.

The deer hunting has been very slow. I haven't even seen a doe yet this year. I have seen several bucks all have been small in body size. I have only seen one that might be a shooter but I elected to pass.

I have herd of a few reasons as to why it is so slow compare to the last two years. I am not sure that I want to believe them or not.

1) It was so hot this last summer that fawn survival is at only 25%
2) Coyotes ate the fawns because there was no grass for them to hide in.
3) The deer don't need to come to feeders because there is plenty of acorns on the ground.
4) The weather is too warm and deer aren't moving

I have not seen any sign of rut yet. They bucks I did see are by themselfs and I notice some dark tarsal. What has got me concerned is not seeing any doe or fawns. I have herd from others in our group that they had seen a couple of doe. Anyone have any ideas of whats going on?

Here is a reply to my question from another web site. WhitetailDomains.com

Your numbers 1-4 are exactly correct BUT you forgot about the HUGE deer die-off from this summer. Your deer densities were historically too high for the conditions and this summer, many many deer simply died off. Mother Nature is very tough when populations get too high and temperatures get too high and rainfall gets too low. She takes the eraser and begins to swipe across the landscape. The animals most stressed (does this summer) are the first to go, then the older ones in poorer health are next. The remaining deer are usually the very fit young and middle aged. Since bucks were just laying around trying to grow antlers, they just shut down antler growth and ate whatever they could find long enough to survive. This is why you are seeing what you are (or not) seeing. Young bucks with small antlers are the norm this this in Llano County, on average, especially along Hwy 29. Do you remember seeing all the dead deer laying along the highway from Llano to Austin? I do and they were plentiful. Deer were foraging in the road ditches and traveling extensively to the river from the hillss and ending up in the grills of many vehicles.

So, you are witnessing the results of Mother Nature managing a population that people didn't. People-managed wildlife populations are much much healthier than Mother Nature managed herds. I wish non-hunters could understand this phenomenom.

Buried somewhere in these Forums is a thread I started showing a massive deer die off with lots of pictures. It pains me to see it and I wish more people could understand the gravity of it. It they could or would, I think they would handle their herds differently.

Macy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts