2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go again! Just when you don't think you will see a good deer, there he is! I'm writing this story again as I somehow erased my previous one, while posting pics. After a great thanksgiving, my thoughts had finally turned to deer hunting. I arrived at the lease after lunch, and was greeted by Mr.Warsaw. We immediately went to the back of the ranch and checked the game camera. It revealed a fine buck feeding on thankgiving morning. The camera also revealed another lease member at the feed station at 4:00 pm, a couple days prior. Anyway, while it wasn't what I wanted to find, I know I can only control myself. At 4:05, warsaw makes a move to his blind, hogcity. Me, even with all the activity back there, decided to sit at the Holidayinn. I was in the blind at 4:20. That is early for me. At 4:34, I see movement at the far end of the ranch. As soon as I looked at this buck thru binos, I knew I wanted to kill it! I thought of bailing out of the blind, for an ambush, but I played it cool! 2cool! The buck closes in on me quick! He cruised 100-150 yards thru brush in about 2 minutes. He pops out, behind a bush, and checks the blind. I only had the window open about 3 inches, because we thought he was on to the blind. After he is assurred nobody is inside, he busts a broadside move to the groceries. After his 2nd step, my Browning a-bolt cracks a 243 core-lokt, right at him! Boom! Hit, he makes a run for cover. After about 5 minutes, I can't stand it anymore. I start trailing and find splotches of blood, here and there. After about 140 yards of zigs and zags, the blood trail stops. Now, I'm vervous! I'm losing light fast. On a hunch, I remember deer sometimes go to water to soak their wounds. I head for the river. I am walking a deer trail running parallel to the river. After about 50 yards, there he is. Its like a dream! At 5:54, I'm walking up to him. My pal, bonehunter, calls at the exact moment! After congrats are exchanged, reality sets in and I realize the drag that awaits! After about 100 plus yards of dragging uphill, my pal warsaw shows up. He lends a hand and saves the day. If he had not showed up when he did, adventure would have turned to ordeal! I was exausted! This hunt is one of those hunts I will never forget! I tell ya' I've got some great hunting buddies. My thanks to Mr.Warsaw and I can't wait to hunt some more. I still have a goal of killing my first deer with my bow. Good luck to all, as we still have some hunting to do! Hopefully, i'll have another story soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, here we go again! Just when you don't think you will see a good deer, there he is! I'm writing this story again as I somehow erased my previous one, while posting pics. After a great thanksgiving, my thoughts had finally turned to deer hunting. I arrived at the lease after lunch, and was greeted by Mr.Warsaw. We immediately went to the back of the ranch and checked the game camera. It revealed a fine buck feeding on thankgiving morning. The camera also revealed another lease member at the feed station at 4:00 pm, a couple days prior. Anyway, while it wasn't what I wanted to find, I know I can only control myself. At 4:05, warsaw makes a move to his blind, hogcity. Me, even with all the activity back there, decided to sit at the Holidayinn. I was in the blind at 4:20. That is early for me. At 4:34, I see movement at the far end of the ranch. As soon as I looked at this buck thru binos, I knew I wanted to kill it! I thought of bailing out of the blind, for an ambush, but I played it cool! 2cool! The buck closes in on me quick! He cruised 100-150 yards thru brush in about 2 minutes. He pops out, behind a bush, and checks the blind. I only had the window open about 3 inches, because we thought he was on to the blind. After he is assurred nobody is inside, he busts a broadside move to the groceries. After his 2nd step, my Browning a-bolt cracks a 243 core-lokt, right at him! Boom! Hit, he makes a run for cover. After about 5 minutes, I can't stand it anymore. I start trailing and find splotches of blood, here and there. After about 140 yards of zigs and zags, the blood trail stops. Now, I'm vervous! I'm losing light fast. On a hunch, I remember deer sometimes go to water to soak their wounds. I head for the river. I am walking a deer trail running parallel to the river. After about 50 yards, there he is. Its like a dream! At 5:54, I'm walking up to him. My pal, bonehunter, calls at the exact moment! After congrats are exchanged, reality sets in and I realize the drag that awaits! After about 100 plus yards of dragging uphill, my pal warsaw shows up. He lends a hand and saves the day. If he had not showed up when he did, adventure would have turned to ordeal! I was exausted! This hunt is one of those hunts I will never forget! I tell ya' I've got some great hunting buddies. My thanks to Mr.Warsaw and I can't wait to hunt some more. I still have a goal of killing my first deer with my bow. Good luck to all, as we still have some hunting to do! Hopefully, i'll have another story soon!
Good job! Along with a nice rack....that deer looks heavy!

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Nice buck Ruben! Congrats on the kill. See patience pays off. You went all of those hunts without seeing anything then all of the sudden bam there he is! Good job. What dose he age at? He looks like an older deer. Alex

·
Registered
308 Posts
Very nice Llano buck! What does he score? What part of the county are you hunting in? I'm on the south side, near Oxford. We've seen a deer on our place that looks about as nice as that, but he's still out there.

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
Great adrenaline-laced story. Definitely a good one to shoot! Congrats!

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the kind words. 4 1/2 aged.estimated at 125-128, by a friend not quite so sure. If taped, I'm sure a little less.

·
Dada. I caught a Shimp
243 Posts
Nice Buck. Great story. I've never heard that about deer going to water when wounded? Good info. I lost one this year and searched all around my last track of him but I didn't check the small creek nearby. Still feel sick about it, 1st one I've ever lost, nice one to. I'll have to scour the creek my next trip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts