2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Happy Hookers are back
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and brew Jr. have been cast netting bait the last couple of trips. The problem is we like to do it the day befor.. At about 8:00 the night befor we casted about 2 quarts of shrimp and about a dozen finger mullet, all was put in a 36 Quart cooler with a pump. Aslo we added some bait save stuff. at 5 the next moring all the bait was dead exept a few mullet. Anyone know what we did wrong or is this not possible to do.

Thx Zachâ„¢

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
an oxygen system will really help. also try to keep the water cool. Cooler water holds more diffused oxygen.

This weekend down in Pt. Mansfield we caught bait the night before we fished (piggies, pinfish and croakers) . My uncle had one of these baskets: www.baitbasket.com and it worked great - not a single dead bait the next morning - only downside is you have to have someplace to tie it up.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
A larger cooler might help. I have also heard that bait keeps better it there are no corners. I have seen trash can style baitwells for sale at several outdoor stores for about $75-$200. But I don't want to spend that kind of money os a few weeks ago I build a baitwell for my boat. I took a plastic barrel cut about half of it off and then screwed the top back to the bottom part. Then spend about $30 on a outside pump for Acme. The next day we caught some bait the morning when we went fishing and fished about 7 hours and all the bait that was left was swimming at the end of the
day.

It is a pic before the pump. the pump is mounted on the outside and have a hose running up the side and back into the live well.

Attachments

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Could have been the cooler..

Has it been cleaned with bleach or anything like that? If so that could have contaminated the water and killed them. Or just not enough surface area for the bait.

You might try buying a small trash can or something like that, that way there is no corners for the bait to stop at. This keeps them moving and circulating the water.

FN

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Harbormaster told me to tell you to also hang in a some netting for the shrimp to cling to. Lets them rest and save their energy. Not let them drown either. :)

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Did you leave the lid open? If it was closed they werent getting any air. It's also a good idea to freeze a plastic 20oz coke bottle and stick it in the chest to keep the water cool.
--Hop

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i dont like to mix shrimp and mullet. also, like matt said, you really have to be careful what ice chest you put them in. i dont ever clean an ice chest i use for bait with anything but baking soda and water. i also prop the lid a little bit to let air get in, but not too much that the bait jumps out. the rounded corners are pretty important also, especially with mullet. they do better if they can swim in circles and not bump their little noses on corners :headknock. i really dont like fishing with stressed out red nosed mullet, yucky! LOL dont know what kind of pump you were using, but i really like my burgess. if you have a place to hang the bait in the water, thats a great option, although i dont know if the water is too warm to do that right now or not.

good luck, let us know what you figure out, and save some of those little mullets for me!
trudy

·
Registered
243 Posts
You had too many shrimp in that size of cooler. 2 quarts of shrimp in less than 9 gallons of water is way too many. Shrimp are hard to keep alive. In that size of ice chest you could safely keep 2-3 dozen finger mullet (flounder size), or a pint or two of shrimp max. One thing that helps is to change the water as late as possible before leaving them for the night. Once the fish get in the bucket they get nervous secrete their waste. If you change the water after they have been in the bucket/cooler for 30 minutes you will have a much higher survival rate.

Mark

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
were you wearing mosquito repelent that night b4 when you caught the bait. that can screw things up as well

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Thats a lot of shrimpies for that small of a cooler. So I'll wager too much bait in a small container, water temp, and check your stones on your hoses to be sure their in good shape and spittin' out good bubblage

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
What happens, is the live bait puts out amonia and it kills the bait off no matter how cool you keep the water or how many airpumps you have going. I've kept live bait alive for 2 and 3 days on PINS, Matagorda, Sargeant, etc... Go to your local Academy or other tackle shop and pick up some Pogie Saver and put the recommended amount in the water. Add some new water every few hours if you get the chance. The pogie saver will impress you with how long it will keep the bait alive.
I didn't read every other post on this subject so if someone else has covered this, I apologize for the repeat.
If this doesn't help, I'll buy you a beer.

·
The Happy Hookers are back
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did leave the lid open, and jared and i had thought that there was to much in the cooler. As for contaminates, i don't think we had any no sun block, Off, or anything and the cooler is exclusively use for our live well. I did put in some of the Fish Saver™ from acadmey. Also we change out the water about 30 min. after we caught it all, but i rember the water being hot the next morning and thought that might have something to do with it.

All in all we use two cast nets and managed to catch PLENTY of bait in a short amount of time, and MUCh cheaper than a bait stand. And we had alot more fish(mullet, croker, and porgies).

I thought about useing one of those large mesh baskets, we castnet and go by my gradpaws house in the boat every time we leave. I think that would be a much more productive way to keep them alive. I think adding some mesh for the shirmp to cling to it may help to.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
pump

What kind of pump were you using? Many fishermen, including myself, use the Burgess aereator. It's the best one made. We've been out in West Bay with mullet in a bucket, no water change, and they'll live all day with the Burgess running. It keeps the water cool and pumps much O2 into the water. Besides my Stingray boots, breatheable waders, and Curado reel, it's the best fishing investment I've ever made.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Burgess aeriator

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and my second time using it, the motor died on it. Can't get even a hum out of it. Any one know what the deal with it might be? It's not the battery, and I can't find my reciept to take it back. I hate to just have to throw it out after spending $40 bucks on it and only using it twice! Any suggestions???

Thanks............KC

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Any reputable store will take it back

Argo said:
Buy another one and return the bad one in the box with the receipt of the one you just got.
Just tell them what happened. You shouldn't have to try and scam them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts