2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 o'clock yesterday I got a call saying that we had a live animal strand at High Island. It was originally called in as a Bottlenose Dolphin but turned out to be a Melon-Headed Whale. Some guys were either camping or fishing (maybe both) and this whale just washed right up to them. They did a great job of keeping the animal calm and shaded so it didn't get sunburned. It's about 7 ft. long and doesn't have a name yet because they don't know if it's a boy whale or a girl whale :)

I was told that the animal was really scraped up and had lots of shark bites. I started holding this morning around 4 a.m. so I really couldn't see much but it was really difficult to find a place to hold the animal because it felt like every inch of her tail was scarred. Once it started getting daylight out I got to check it out. Several of the bite marks I saw were at least 8" across!

Then to make matters more interesting, they got a call about a live animal down at PINS around the 40mm I think. Someone pushed it back in but they called back a few minutes later and said that it had re-stranded.

This means that we've got 4 live animals at the moment -- a dual rehab in Galveston and a dual rehab in Corpus. If any of you would be interested in volunteering, now would be a really, really, really good time. :)

Here are some pics of the melon-headed whale. The tarp's not up yet so they're putting zinc on it in the last picture.

If any of ya'll were the ones that called in either of these animals, "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!"

The number's 1-800-9MAMMAL... that's for live and dead animals.

Attachments

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Thanks for the things you folks do, saving a life must be a great uplift to your inner spirit.....

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Way 2cool

Like Darrell said, THANKS for taking care of the marine life...

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Thanks

Dolphin Girl-Thanks for all you do for the sea critters. I know that the Almighty must smile when He see's this kind of compassion and kindness. You truley deserve a sincere thanks from all of us that enjoy the beauty of the beach. Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been very interesting and rewarding work. I have been lucky in that none of the animals I've worked with have died.

I just got an email that the second animal down in Corpus did not make it. I'm sure some of the volunteers down there are having a tough time with it.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Awesome! I have a friend that would probably like to volunteer. I will send this page to her and see if she is interested. I would love to do it also. What kind of training/time commitment does it require?

FC

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no minimum limit as to how much time you have to volunteer. We have some volunteers who live up in Dallas and might sign up to work a couple of times a year. And there are many other areas you can work in besides live animal care. A large number of people who come through do it because they think it's a "swim with the dolphins" program and that's not the case. You're only in the water as long as the animal needs supporting. Once it's swimming on it's own, human contact is kept to a minimum. It can get monotonous at times... You're just sitting there watching this animal swim in circles for 4 hours at a time. I just want to warn you because, like I said, a lot of people get over there and can't get in the water and so they quit.

To volunteer, you have to take a 1 day training class. It really just goes over all the areas of the organization and how you can take part, rules, paperwork, etc. The second half of the class is basically a physical fitness test. You have to get in the pool and walk around in a squatted position for like 15 minutes while holding on to a big inflatable dolphin. Then outside of the pool, you have to carry a 40 lb. sandbag like 40 feet or something.

The next class is July 10. They usually have "crash courses" between training day dates. The crash course is about 2 hours and goes over paper work, policies and procedures. If you take the crash course, you'll still have to take the full course when it comes around but you'll be able to start volunteering immediately.
If anyone's interested, email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Good 'goin!

Hats off to you and your organizations (I'm sure tireless),.... dilligent and honorable efforts, to help all those ocean critters in desperate need!

;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts