2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks great! Enjoy!

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
Sitting here at work looking forward to eating a bologna sandwhich........Man.....I hate you.....J/K.......

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
that looks awesome.. love etouffe...

fyi, I found this recipe to be very good, no hard work at all making it

Crawfish Étouffée
(by Marc Savoy of Eunice, LA)

"Some people make this dish with a roux, which makes it a much heavier meal. This is my Dad's recipe. It allows the flavor of the crawfish to take the lead."

• 4 ounces oil
  • 2 pounds crawfish tails (or you can use shrimp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch scallions, tops only, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons minced parsley
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 small 8-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) water
Place the 4 ounces of oil in a thick, cast-iron skillet or pot, add the crawfish, salt, pepper, and cayenne and cook over a high heat until the water is gone, stirring frequently. (This can take some time, especially if you are using frozen crawfish, which have a lot of water in them. If using shrimp, do not cook more than 10 minutes.)

About half an hour before serving, prepare some boiled rice. (Note: Please use real rice, the stuff that doesn't boil in a bag. We HATE that stuff!!) Use two cups of rice and three-and- a-half to four cups of water, a little salt, and boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat until the water boils off the top of the rice. Then, turn the heat to medium and continue to cook it, uncovered, until the rice around the rim of the pot starts to look dry. Turn the heat very low, cover, and cook for about seventeen minutes.

Add the onion, scallions, bell pepper, parsley, and garlic to the crawfish, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook 7 minutes stirring frequently.

Add the tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, lower the heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
YIELD: 8 portions.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would forego the tomatoes and replace the oil in that recipe with butter. Tomato belongs in sauce piquante, not etouffe.

I also use just a bit of roux to thicken it up a bit. I know what the recipe above states about roux. The roux I use is very light, just enough to cook off the raw taste of the flour.

I just sautee the onions, bell peppers and garlic together with a stick of butter. When the onions get a little wilty, I add in the roux and let it cook a little bit. After about 5 minutes, I add the water in small amounts until it looks right.(sorry, can't be more specific than that). Season to taste with salt, pepper and a little cajun seasoning.

I let that simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat. When I start the rice in the cooker, I add the crawfish tail to the pot and cover and continue to simmer. When the rice is done, the etouffe is ready to eat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts