2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running LiPOs, could you post what car/truck you have and what type of battery? Also whether it fits without mods or not.

Thanks in Advance.

Greg

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/shop/item.asp?itemid=240&catid=60

apparently I'm the only one that seems to be running lipos......not sure why. These are actually Li-manganese as opposed to Li-polymer.......which is the second generation of lithium based batteries for RC use. Lithium polymer is very volatile, and has been known to actually catch on fire or melt down because of people charging them incorrectly. Lithium manganese is much less volatile, has all the benefits of li-po, and is actually lighter weight.

The only thing I had to do to get these to fit in the RC18T perfectly was to grind down the lip on the side of the chassis and viola!

They fit perfectly in the vendetta I had before I sold it without any mods.

I have not tried other brands before, so I can make no comparisons.....I only chose these because they were designed to fit where a 6-cell pack would go, and because they were li-mn and I was a little intimidated by the fire and melting stories I'd heard.

Lipos & limn are perfectly safe as long as you charge them right. Charge them at 1A and you're good every time. They peak every time, and you never have to cycle them.

The only problem I've had is that I've left them plugged into the ESC in one of my cars, and it drained the battery down below the cutoff voltage, and it wouldn't charge up anymore. But apogee's warranty is a "no questions asked" exchange policy, so I sent them in and had new ones at my doorstep within a week.

As long as you set your cutoff voltage on your ESC, and don't leave them plugged into anything, you'll not have that problem either.

What else you need to know? I did my homework on lipo / limn before investing, and I'm very happy with the payoff.

As I've said before, if you're starting from scratch with a charger and batteries, there is no real reason not to use lipo/limn.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
courtney, soon enough you wont be the only one using them. im going to convert as soon as money will allow

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Courtney.

I'm not starting from scratch, I have plenty of 1400s and 1100's, but am really impressed by the runtime of Lithiums and figure they are just the next step to go with brushless stuff.

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
part of the good runtime comes from the fact that they're typically paired up with a brushless system, which is literally 5-10 more effecient than the best brushed system. I've never tried them with a brushed system, so I don't know to tell you that you will reap all the benefits from changing over.

with the mamba 6800 system and these 2200mah batteries in my RC18's, I'm getting 12-15 minutes of full power at the 7.4V rating, but right around 12-15 minutes the voltage starts to drop down some. It will run another 5 minutes or so before it drops down to 6.5V or so (6.0V is the cutoff that you can't go below for a 2 cell), but even during those last 5 minutes it's getting like 85-90% power.

Ok, I'll stop teaching now! night night all

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
jeez courtney!! youve already convinced me to sell some of my stuff to convert to lipos, stop already before you convince me to sell the rest!!! :p

·
Registered
643 Posts
CV..actually , I have been running LiPos for almost 2 years. I have 2 Orion 4800 for 1/10 scale and 1- 2200 2 cell Apogee and 1- 2100 3 cell Thunder Power. Lovem, lovem, lovem.
CV is right about charging. But you have to charge any battery correcty or it will catch fire or explode. The only battery I have had catch fire was a NiMh freshly charged and dropped. Shot a flame about 2 inches long.
I run the 2 cell Apogee 2200 in the 18T with no mods. It is a tight fit.
The 3 cell I run without a strap. It fits that tight. BTW, it makes the 18T a freaking rocket.
The Ice charger is the best as far as I can tell. When you set it up for the milliamp hours, it will max the charging amps correctly.
Go Lipo, you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The MRC super brain 989 has been a good charger.And it comes with a power supply! The ice is a great charger to.But easy with the thumb wheel i broke mine.If you buy one lipo you will sell all your nimh LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Big Phil said:
If you buy one lipo you will sell all your nimh LOL
Aint that the truth. There is just no comparison. I only use my old NimH just to goof off or if someone else wants to drive it.

BTW I use A123 Lithium Ion cells. 15 Minutes recharges are awesome. They won't fit in a 18th scale though.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
what power supply do yall use? i just got up enough money to go lipo and i dont know what charger or power supply to use?

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
not sure what mine is, but pretty much any 150W - 300W, 10-15A, 120VAC to 12VDC power supply will work. Even a computer power supply will work. Just needs to convert to 12VDC and have at least 10A. If you get into charging any type of battery that can handle charge rates of 5A or so, you probably need a 15A.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
those are fairly expensive tho rite? im pretty much only gonna be gharging mini batteries, and the occasionally the 4200 stick pack for a 1/10 elec truck, that i normally charge at 4 amps

·
Banned
4,251 Posts
go to a computer repair shop and ask them for an old power supply.....preferrably a higher wattage one around 250-300 watts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts