2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got some catfish lines in the Blanco River now with some bluegill on em. Im catfishing for the first time, ill let yall know how i do! How often should i check the lines? Are cut bluegill good?

Russ

·
Unorthodox Millenial
8,152 Posts
When I'm night fishing I usually just check once around midnight and then again at daylight. Unless they are feeding very aggressively.

I've never used cut bait only live.

·
Solidarity for what????
14,626 Posts
As the water warms into the summer, you had best check them every couple of hours or you'll have dead fish on the line.
Now, not so much unless you're worried about twist offs. If so, put swivels on the stagings from the main line drops. If you just want to, check'em about halfway through the night and then again tomorrow. I would definitely bait up again tomorrow morning as this is the time of the year their active almost all day due to water temps.
Cut bluegill will do just fine. Cut shad seems to work better though as shad just smell worse (or stronger) than perch.
Tomorrow or the next time you bait up, pick a line as a guinea pig. Bait every other hook with a cut bait and the other a live bait (hooked just behind the dorsal fin). This might help to determine their preference at that time.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I just got home from putting out some lines in the Guadalupe today also, if I were camping down there i would be running them about 10:00 but i'll wait til daybreak to check them tonight since i came back home. Cut or live will work at night, i don't know how many yellow cats the Blanco holds, they prefer the live stuff, but channels and blues aren't picky. We're baited out with real nice goggle eyed perch, just hoping the gars take it easy on us. Good luck and hopefully you'll have some pics for us.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Ive got 2 lines in about a 15-20 foot deep hole. I think it should be good for cats because the stuff around it is 1-2ft deep. It also has some nice rock ledges that i hope can produce some fish!

Russ

·
Unorthodox Millenial
8,152 Posts
As the water warms into the summer, you had best check them every couple of hours or you'll have dead fish on the line.
Now, not so much unless you're worried about twist offs. If so, put swivels on the stagings from the main line drops. If you just want to, check'em about halfway through the night and then again tomorrow. I would definitely bait up again tomorrow morning as this is the time of the year their active almost all day due to water temps.
Cut bluegill will do just fine. Cut shad seems to work better though as shad just smell worse (or stronger) than perch.
Tomorrow or the next time you bait up, pick a line as a guinea pig. Bait every other hook with a cut bait and the other a live bait (hooked just behind the dorsal fin). This might help to determine their preference at that time.
I've never had dead fish on the lines. I guess because of the heat?

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Your fish will fair fine right now. You could leave them all night if need be. Its the thermocline in a deep lake you have to worry about on deep fish. In a river or moving water the thermocline is negligible.

·
Solidarity for what????
14,626 Posts
I've never had dead fish on the lines. I guess because of the heat?
Heat which helps to create the thermocline. Areas with less or more oxygen. Mid summer the upper areas of lakes (from surface sometimes 10' down) will have less than preferred (by 9 out of 10 fish I might add:D) for fish to live as will some of the lowest areas.
Google thermoclines and you will see what I found out the hard way:eek:hwell:
Edit:Fishin soldier, the upper portions of lakes will lack oxygen also in the hotter months.
But yes, if in a river, all bets are off.
Run on often enough to defend against twist offs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay ill prob check in an hour because by then theyll have been in for a few hours. I can check often because the river is in my backyard.

Russ

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Id Check around midnight then rebait. Check again at dayight. Rebait. Check again around 10. I would check every 3-4 hrs if feasible.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just checked em for the first time. I lost my bait and hook and the line was abraised so i am assuming a cat broke me off. Rebaited and will check again in morning.

Russ

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
20lb mono with 30lb leader. I know that may be light but its the heaviest setup ive got. My other is 30lb braid and 30lb leader

·
Unorthodox Millenial
8,152 Posts
Yeah limb or throw lines. I only use the tarred line.

Tie a loop about two feet above the weight.
Pull out slack and throw weight where you plan to fish it.
Cut and tie off line
Pull weight back in clip on swivel and hook at the loop.
Put bait on, toss out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No fish, will keep running lines throughout the day. I lost my bait during the night which is a good sign

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Don't feel like the only one, we baited 60 hooks last night with about as good a bait you can use and have 4 channel cats to show for it, very disappointing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts