2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Really

Gotta have a swivel but also running your hook through the soft plastic straight will get it running true and not spiraling (sp). Thats it

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
DQW said:
I use a small barrell swivel and about 18" of flourcarbon leader tied to jig head.
This works perfect...also make sure your lure hangs straight, this helps it from spinning when you work it.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Small Spro swivel and split ring on the jig head. Then you don't have to worry about that **** swivel up your line and you can put on 3-4 ft of leader and be good all day long.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
Use a loop knot to tie on the plastics. I never really liked using swivels, and the loop knot helps a lot. Are you using a spinning reel? If so, when you put new line on the reel make sure it goes on counter-clockwise. Put the spool of line on the ground with the label facing you.

·
428 Posts
barrel swivel then leader then loop knot for the jig head

but as previously posted the most important thing is to get the jig head on straight

·
Registered
117 Posts
loop knot

Dell said:
barrel swivel then leader then loop knot for the jig head

but as previously posted the most important thing is to get the jig head on straight
Google up grogs animated knots...Shows a lot of knots......

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
I don't like adding any other hardware to a softplastic than neccesary. If your using something that spirals through the water, you need to get better at rigging them straight. Assassin's are the hardest and will spriral some regardless, but the straighter they swim the better. Start holding the rod high with a length of line out and let the lure untwist before the next cast. Each cast that you make without doing this, sends the twist further and further into the spool. I think you already know what happens next. Our try using Fireline. That stuff behieves well on spinning reels.

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Agree with the swivel, but if you don't like the metal, you're going to experience line twist with a spinning reel, especially if you like throwing spoons!

I had this problem and my buddy told me to cut my lure off and while we moved to another spot (while on a boat), lay out half of my spool behind the boat. Then reel it up tight and tie on a lure.

NO line twist at all!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
"I don't like adding any other hardware to a softplastic than neccesary"

A small Spro and small split ring makes no difference. I was taught this by a buddy that guided in Rockport for 12 yeas, and now fishes the Red Fish Cup, second in Galv. last year, he is the best fisherman I know. He uses them this way, doesn't seem to bother the fish he catches, lol. I have been doing it since 98 and I can say it doesn't bother the fish, even in clear winter early spring time water, or in the Laguna. Plus you won't dip the lure into the water on the back end of your cast and bird nest because of the long leader you can't reel up because of the in-line swivel. Just tie a surgeons knot if its mono to mono and a uni to uni if it is braid to mono leader. Like I said before then your leader will last all day cutting and retieing your lures.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
I use a Small spro swivel and speed clip attached to the jighead, and then tie a double surgeon knot to connect my leader to the main line. Doesn't effect the lure at all and eliminates the line twist. I am also real meticulous on rigging my plastic on the jighead, goes back to my freshwater Texas Rigging, if it ain't straight it will twist swivel or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Line Out of the Back of the Boat

I can attest that letting the line out behind the boat will take the twist out of the line. Let out just a little more than what is twisted. You don't need to go very fast.....just cruise for 3-4 minutes and the job's done.

Caution: Make sure the boat is moving...and it's moving in a straight line before you start letting the line out. If you let it out before moving and have to correct your heading, you run the risk of the prop catching the line. If you think a Jack will spool your reel quickly, the prop will spool your reel in just a few seconds and you run the risk of your rod tip getting into the prop action.

Small barrell swivels don't seem to reduce the quantity of fish at all and saves all of this effort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts