2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you experience nasty line twisting as you reel in? I'm assuming its my weight bouncing and rolling over and over again. If so how do you combat this problem. I have a swivel where my leader starts, but its not doing the job.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
What kind of bait are you talking about. If it is a lead head and soft plastic, the problem most likely is the bait is not straight at all on the lead head. The straighter the bait on the lead head, the less twist/spin and more realistic it will be. If talking about a spoon, they are notorious for twisting line, especially if they are bent and reeled fast. These two baits are the most common line twisters. The only other thing that I could think of is that the swivel is not smooth enough to allow the twisting. Might try a different swivel of higher quality.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how long has ur line been on your reels.. momo builds a memory and it might solve some of ur problem
Not long, i usually re string the mono after 2 or 3 trips. and the reels are kept indoors. Does no one else have this problem? Maybe i should try a different brand mono?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of bait are you talking about. If it is a lead head and soft plastic, the problem most likely is the bait is not straight at all on the lead head. The straighter the bait on the lead head, the less twist/spin and more realistic it will be. If talking about a spoon, they are notorious for twisting line, especially if they are bent and reeled fast. These two baits are the most common line twisters. The only other thing that I could think of is that the swivel is not smooth enough to allow the twisting. Might try a different swivel of higher quality.
And I'm talking about a shark rig. Big horse mullet, 6-8oz spider weight.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I dont do much shark fishing, but while chunkin arties all day, I like to let my line out a few times to just pack it back on straight and tight. While changing spots or setting up another drift, I just bite the line and let it all the way out. You might want to walk off your line a bit after you bring in your rig a few times. I am sure there is a better way to fix your problem but just a thought. I use only a baitcaster and still do this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you using a spinning reel? they are bad about line twist, mainly when the drag is working and you continue to reel in.
no its a daiwa sealine.

And I will bite off a lure and let out line on my spinning gear to undo the twists. But that's not really practical to do with over 300 yards of mono.

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
Slow down when your sliding your jigs on.. If you don't get it straight chunk it. Change your line out. Change your snap swivel out. If you use an eggbeater, change it out to a baitcaster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts