2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Senior Member...
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on a new Penn SSM Spinning Reel. I have some 65# Power Pro and wanted to know how many yards of spectre I should put on it with how much Mono top shot and what pound rating?

I will try and use the reel for jigging, casting poppers and sight casting..

Thanks for any Suggestions...

·
Registered
813 Posts
mono

I have the same reel and bought 300 yd powerpro 65lb test. Filled it up and noticed it was not full. If you have a big spool ofhe power pro then disregard this port. If you are planning on purchasing 300 yards, then I would suggest the following.

Put on 20lb mono line about 100 yards first ,then use the 300 yards of power pro (aka 16lb test mono), then your top shot. This should fill the reel. This is the only reel I have spectra on so by no means and I an expert. Just giving my .02 cents from experience.

If I ever see the 20lb backing exposed then there would be a lot of line out to eat up the pressure from whatever the hell stripped 300 yards of 65 lb test off a spinner.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
How to spool spectra:
Put a layer of "Pet Wrap" on the spool.
Tie your spectra with at least two wraps around the spool.
Load your spectra TIGHT (the spectra should thump like a solid mass)
Tie on some 50# mono and fill the spool.
Now take off your mono onto a spool.
Take off your spectra on a seperate spool
Install your mono.
Using an Albright attach your spectra to the mono and load the spectra on tight.
If your not sweating by the time you get the spectra on it isn't tight enough!

Perodically when fishing spectra you will need to retension the spectra on the spool or it will do one of the following; Bury in the spool - come off in a knot - cut itself due to a loose loop. I've made the mistakes and learned my lesson the hard way, lost fish.

·
Super Senior Member...
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snagged thanks, But... Ive heard some people say to put the mono on top to switch out when needed "cheaper" which idea is better?

Thanks,

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Fonz,
If you want filler, use the above described method.
If you plan to use a topshot (wind on leader) use the mono on top, this is what I do.
You can use a combination of both if you don't want to spend the money on spectra.
I fill my reels with spectra and use very short topshots on spinners, from 2 to 10 feet.
On convential reels I fill with spectra and vary the leangth of my topshot depending on use. I also tend to change my topshot more often depending on fray's or heavy pulls. I've found this to be cheaper and result in fewer lost fish.

·
Registered
693 Posts
if you use a filler under the spectra be prepared to lose ALL of the spectra. A big tuna will spool you in a pretty short time, then pop your mono. LOAD it full of spectra... Jerry got a kick out of "teaching" me how to load a reel with spectra off the back of a moving boat!! I thought reeling in tuna was tough... try reeling in 400 yds of spectra while putting pressure on the line at the same time!!! BUT like he said- when it got thumped it sounded like a rock! And it NEVER dug into itself!

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Pet wrap or Sport wrap- is the gauze like stuff that you wrap injuries with that is sort of brownish color and aderes to itself when applied.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Ragman said:
Pet wrap or Sport wrap- is the gauze like stuff that you wrap injuries with that is sort of brownish color and aderes to itself when applied.
vet wrap or coban. you can buy it at wal-mart in the pet department. it comes in various colors. it is kind of like an ace bandage in that it is strechy but it adheres to itself. they use it in hospitals as well....rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts