2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW MANY WILL WEATHER A LIGHTING STORM IN A BLIND?

LAST YEAR HEADING TO A 10' TOWER BLIND, BEFORE FIRST LIGHT, IT WAS SPRINGLING AND THUNDERING. IT WAS A WEEKDAY AND HAD THE WHOLE TO MYSELF AND WASNT GOING TO LET ANYTHING DETOUR MY DESIRE TO HUNT. WELL IT POURED AND THUNDERED. THEN THE RAIN SLACKED AND THE LIGHTING STORM BEGAN. I COOL AT FIRST UNTIL THE LIGHITNG STARTED. FIGURED I WAS OK BEING IN A INSULATED BOX. RIGHT? ANYHOW ABOUT 15 MINUTESMORE IF THIS I WAS PRETTY MUCH SCARED. ANYHOW A BOLT IN OUT FRONT ME 80 YARDS TOPS. MY BUTT WAS SCALING THE LATTER TO THE GROUND. NEVER AGAIN!!:spineyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have, probably would again, but would just as soon not!:eek:

I rode a bad one out about 20yrs ago nw of Coleman. I hunted out there for 12yrs and we never had a winter T-storm close to being like this one. THe blind was built on a very heavy windmill tower. The base of the boxblind was right at 18' high. The lightening bothered me at first, but the wind is what really scared the carp out of me. We had 4 heavy braided steel guy-wires on the tower. It was rock solid, but when the wind really got up the whole dang thing shuddered and vibrated. The noise off the wires hummin in the wind was incredibly loud. Pucker factor was high! :D

I had been married about 30days at the time. We didn't have cellphones and 2-ways at that time....my little bride was back at camp with my Aunt. They both had some pretty choice words for me and my uncle when we finally got back that morning.:rotfl:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the blinds we hunt out of are metal framed so i was wondering the same thing. would running a static line out away from the blind (like a drilling rig) help or would i still get fried if i got hit?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
t-tung said:
or would i still get fried if i got hit?
If it hits the blind with you in it.
EXTRA CRISPY is generally the results.

Well grounded lightning rods will probably draw lightning away from you, if they are taller and a short distance away from your blind. 50 to 100 ft away should be enough.
You don't ever want to be the tallest thing in the area.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Psycho - you have enough tall trees around you to be safe - nothing can get you there.
We had high winds once that had the stand swaying so bad I was ready to bail.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When I lived in Uvalde, we had a bad lighting storm blow through. The neighbor's pecan tree(two houses down from us) go hit by lightning. The concusion blowout three windows on the north side of their house. The house was about 15 feet from the tree.

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
My wifes cousin was hit by lighting about 10 years ago while bow hunting. She was in a tree blind. I dont recall all the details but I think she was thrown from the tree and knocked unconsious. She is still alive and still hunts. Dont know if there was any lasting damage, but she was fortunate to come out alive.

·
TAKE A KID HUNTIN AND FISHIN
284 Posts
Viking48 said:
Psycho - you have enough tall trees around you to be safe - nothing can get you there.
We had high winds once that had the stand swaying so bad I was ready to bail.
Viking
If i know you,you were most probably asleep in the stand during all the weather,or back at the trailer on the porch drinking coffee and smoking cigars with Kieth.LOL

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
ETXHNTR said:
Viking
If i know you,you were most probably asleep in the stand during all the weather,or back at the trailer on the porch drinking coffee and smoking cigars with Kieth.LOL
Sometimes the thunder would wake me up - that or a volley of shots from the direction of your stand.

·
284 Posts
Viking48 said:
Sometimes the thunder would wake me up - that or a volley of shots from the direction of your stand.
You know me,id always try to throw a warning shot at em first,to give a chance to run...........

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
ETXHNTR said:
You know me,id always try to throw a warning shot at em first,to give a chance to run...........
"A" warning shot????????? Sounded more like a gunfight at the OK Corral. Glad you were finally able to bring one down.

·
284 Posts
Viking48 said:
"A" warning shot????????? Sounded more like a gunfight at the OK Corral. Glad you were finally able to bring one down.
I always make sure and bring plenty of reloads,i dont need near as many as i use to years ago.Im so glad you yahoos have had so much fun at my expense all these years....LMFAO

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
You're still the only person I've ever known who had to go home because he ran out of bullets. LOL Don't feel bad - you've contributed to more entertainment than you'll ever know.

·
284 Posts
Viking48 said:
You're still the only person I've ever known who had to go home because he ran out of bullets. LOL Don't feel bad - you've contributed to more entertainment than you'll ever know.
My job is done then................

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Viking48 said:
ROFLMFAO!!! RAN OUT OF BULLETS AND HAD TO GO HOME? OH, MY SIDE HURTS!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts