2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded from "unskinkable" Whaler to "sinkable" Bertram and need to purchase a life raft. Looking at the Revere Coastal Commander 6 person, but trying to decide between the canister or valise. The canister would be mounted on the bow in a cradle with a hydrostatic release. The valise would have to be stowed on the engine cover. The crew could range from 6+ able bodied men to as little as my wife, my 12 & 8 year old sons and me.

• Both are 3yr service intervals
  • Valise weighs 70 lbs
  • Valise is portable between boats and can be stored inside
  • Canister is out of the way and "automatic"
What are some other pros and cons you have experienced?

·
Cazadora
2,454 Posts
Canister unless you are sure you will keep the valise raft on deck every trip. Currently have a valise I pull out on top of the port engine box on my 33 Bert. The temptation is to leave it just inside the door. Try to keep ditch bag and life jackets on top of it so quickly at hand. Be sure you test your high water alarm(s) before each trip as well. Good luck TW

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Canister ... Last thing you need to worry about is digging it out...

When Berts sink they normally go fast....

John

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,579 Posts
I have the raft in a valise and it is just inside the v-birth and easy to get, but it does weigh in at 68 lbs. Mine is a Switvik (spelling) 6 man and I have it certified and have seen it tested at the dealer, am very confident I can deploy it if needed.

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
fishin85ag,

I've been shopping for a raft also, and almost settled on the Revere Coastal Commander. Then I saw the Winslow 6-man at the CC boat show, and it made me a believer. I'm saving my lunch money for one.

Comparing the weight of 6-man valise rafts; Revere 75-lb, Winslow 35-lb.

EricTxFish,

Please PM me with contact info for your brother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts