2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a killer deal on some equipment, but its older with older 30 lb test line spooled on the reels.

What is the average lifespan of mono? Its always been stored indoors in a semi-climate controlled environment (garaged, but insulated garage)

I also got several hundred yards of line with it as well. Should I toss it or keep it?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Old line is the worse thing you could use. 3 trips and done for mono, it's always worth buying new line with all the money you spend to fish its not worth loosing a prize catch over faulty line.

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
Old line is the worse thing you could use. 3 trips and done for mono, it's always worth buying new line with all the money you spend to fish its not worth loosing a prize catch over faulty line.
x2 on the mono and you might want to consider braid for your re-spool.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
You now Murphy's law. Use the old line and watch a great trout get lost for no other reason.

Went out bass fishing in the spring with old line and after the 4th lost bass to "old" line breaking I waded back and went home after kicking my butt.

What does line cost to if you fig the total cost of a day's fishing down at the bay.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
take the gear and toss the old mono.... go to academy and get a 1/4lb spool of mono (Pline) it will last you all season (2 or 3 trips per use)...

these guys know what they're talkin about.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
take the gear and toss the old mono.... go to academy and get a 1/4lb spool of mono (Pline) it will last you all season (2 or 3 trips per use)...

these guys know what they're talkin about.
It might just be my obsessive compulsive disorder, but I clean my reel & change the line every trip. I buy the 3000yd spools of 10lb P-Line at FTU. Last one was $50. (600yd spools are $15) I've only been broke off one time, & that was by a big red that went nuts right at the boat. Keep the line in the house where it's climate controlled. That big spool will last you awhile. ;)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took y'alls advice and stripped it. It was a good score with or without the line. You can't be free for 5 custom offshore rods and penn reels. I will have to go through (or pay someone) one of the reels as its a little tight and replace a tip top or two, but perfect aside from that.

I gotta figure out what to spool with, 3 jigmaster 500s and a senator 4/0 and a spinner. I read a little about upgrades of the jigmasters, so I'll have to read about (suggestions welcome) before I put the line on it.

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Bring it or send it to me. I specialize in Penn Reels as a side hobby

Took y'alls advice and stripped it. It was a good score with or without the line. You can't be free for 5 custom offshore rods and penn reels. I will have to go through (or pay someone) one of the reels as its a little tight and replace a tip top or two, but perfect aside from that.

I gotta figure out what to spool with, 3 jigmaster 500s and a senator 4/0 and a spinner. I read a little about upgrades of the jigmasters, so I'll have to read about (suggestions welcome) before I put the line on it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
i have 3 jig masters and half a dozen 4/0 senators that i spool with 30# green big game. twice a year.. the ande back country is nice too. i fish the beach 2 or 3 days a week in the surf and the line last that long if you take care of it.. now when trout fishing with mono i change every trip

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Mono Line

These guys are telling you right. Along with climate control, the main culprit in mono deterioration is UV caused my exposure to sunlight. A lot of time in the sun will cause early line failure.

Keep your spool of spare line in a cool, dry place protected from sunlight. I use one of those plastic coffee containers.

Also, on a hot sunny day, cover the reels to protect them when lying on a deck.

I have taken in reels(and cast nets) that you could break the mono line and webbing like spaghetti. C2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts