2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to have a little fun with my camera yesterday evening. Learned a little about how a rapidly setting sun affects shots in a covered arena. (Couldn't use a flash for these) I "pulled the trigger" alot and these are a few of my faves.

1 The stalk

2 The prey

3 The reward

4 Some of my posse

5 Horse whisperer

·
A Wild Kiwi fern
3,772 Posts
i'm not really a horse fan (one stood on my foot many years ago, and another took off with me on its back and well... scared the daylights out of me)... but

i really like that last photo. i love the angles and lines and interest in the whole image.

you're doing well with composition. have you practised purposely putting your main subject off centre yet?

thanks for sharing these, it looks like they were having a great time. :)

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. That means a lot to me. Those are my favorites too but I'm still learning what to look for in an image. All of y'all have been such a huge help to me and I truly appreciate it. Isn't it amazing how many pics you may have to take to end up with three keepers? I guess I'm hooked now! Tight lines, Guy
richg99 said:
Yes, nice color and detail ... I like 1, 2, and 5 best. Afternoon sun is a great help on ANY photo. Rich

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Just keep practicing and make note of what works and what doesn't. You will find yourself taking less and less shots and getting more and more keepers. At least that has been my experience. I keep going back to the seminar I just went to but it's only because of the things I learned from it. One of the questions asked of the speaker, and he is a man that has had over 2000 images published in National Geographic, was what his "batting average" was as it pertained to "keepers" vs throw aways. His response was basically who cares? If you can take just one great picture a week, by the end of the year you would have 50. That's pretty good if you ask me. Surprisingly, since he switched from film to digital, the number of shots he takes now has dropped considerably. It surprised me at first but when he explained, it made perfect sense. When he used film he did not have the immediate results to look at as he does now with digital. He was always shooting many more film shots, using bracketed exposures, trying all sorts of different settings, just to make sure he covered all the bases and didn't miss a shot. Then he had to wait until the negatives were developed to see what he had and usually he had way too many trys that ended up being tossed. Now with digital he does not need to take nearly as many shots so his "batting average" has improved greatly. Granted, his idea of a keeper is most definitely a little different tha mine but you ge the idea. Just keep practicing and keep shooting. Look at the exif data from your images, learn to look at and interpret the histogram information if it's available, and make notes of what worked and where and when. You will start remembering this and end up getting to the good images a lot sooner. You will also find yourself thinking ahead more and not even bothering taking some shots that you might be taking now. This is all just my experience that I have learned in the short time I have been doing it. I'm sure it's different for everyone but every time I take a picture now, the data is there and it tells me immediately what I did right or wrong. Hopefully I can continue to learn from it and keep improving. That' my goal anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts