2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of a 2cooler who lost a family member due to a hunting accident and began to think about what to do incase of an accident. I called my local Halo flight and asked them a few questions and this is what I came up with. They told me that the helicopter ambulance service will differ depending on what area of the state that you hunt in and each indiviual will need to find out which one services their area. After that, find out the physical address or description of the property you hunt from the land owner and call the service and give it to them. They will enter you into the system and derive a landing zone or pick up spot for that propery. God forbid you should ever need them just call and give them the address and they will dipatch to the location for pick up. Just make certain the address is posted at camp for everyone to see.. FYI ....BE SAFE..Walker

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Great info/reminder that we all need to have an emergency plan at the hunting lease, whether it be local EMS or air ambulance. I did a search after reading the above, and it appears that Airflight out of San Antonio covers my area, Gonzales Co. If anyone knows of other services for my area, post it up. Good post, RR!
Jerry

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thats great info, I hope no one ever needs it, but it is better to be safe than sorry, as said before always have an emergency plan.

·
there's only 1 Big Pocket
684 Posts
you can also check into an outfit called AirEvac. it is a membership based organization that does the same as haloflight.

i signed our family up and the cost is minimal. i believe that for a household of 3 or more it is only around $60 a year. There are no hidden costs and everything is spelled out in the membership paperwork.

if anyone would like any information on it, shoot me a pm and i'll get the number to you.

Capt. Forrest

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Most Life flight/Care flight/Halo flight operations can use GPS coordinates to find you and as many patients as I have life flighted they can normally use those GPS Coord's to at least get within your vicinity and unless their is a thick tree-top canopy they will be able to locate you fairly quickly. You could use a flare or strobe to make it easier for them to locate you and normally they will find their own Landing Zone unless pre-arranged by the local EMS, Fire, or Law Enforcement agency.

It does pay to go meet with the local EMS, Fire, & Law Enforcement agencies and come up with an Emergency plan and provide them with your camps approximate GPS numbers so at least they have a starting point. Also, its good to get with a family member and provide your plans, times, dates, etc. so that if you don't show up at the times or places that you are suppose to then the authorities will have a starting point.

It also goes along way to keep some basic survival supplies with you while hunting, hiking, fishing, etc. including one of the several new brands of PLB's (personal locating beacons) that are available now such as the ACR TerraFix or MicroFix 406 or the SPOT (Satellite Personal Outdoor Tracker). Their are several good sites on the web to locate what to put in your personal survival kits and they dont take up that much room in your back packs. If you can't find what you want or need for your kits then PM me and I can possibly help you out. Better safe than sorry. My survival kit is probably a bit bigger than the normal being that I am a Firefighter/Paramedic. Good luck and stay safe outdoors.

·
Registered
519 Posts
To get the address of a ranch, if no one lives out there and there are no bills being sent to the ranch, is to call the regional developement board and ask for the 911 address of the ranch. You'll have to tell them the hwy number, ranch owner and the approx number of miles from another hwy junction. It only takes a few minutes.

I just did it for a couple of ours and contacted the Middle Rio Grande developement board, which I know covers Del Rio to Uvalde, but I'm not sure how far north or south their territory runs.

Thought that might be halpful

·
Play Deep
3,641 Posts
speaking from personal experience last year. go to your nearest lifelight hospital and register ranch gps camp headquarters. this will give the hospital a place to land. also, it is so important that you always have a handheld gps and cell to call in a lift-especially if your are in the middle of 55,000 acres and cannot get back to camp. trust me - know this for fact. it will make a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts