2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you wanted to take your significant other with you to the duck blind. and she is not hunting but just along for the ride. Does she need a license to be there in the blind with me??

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
As long as she isn't in possession of a gun and is not shooting, I'm 90% sure that she doesn't.
Most of the time that'll work. However, the law says and some GW's will push this issue - she cannot contribute to the hunt in any way. She can't put out decoys, call, work the dog, chase cripples or carry birds.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Most of the time that'll work. However, the law says and some GW's will push this issue - she cannot contribute to the hunt in any way. She can't put out decoys, call, work the dog, chase cripples or carry birds.
Your probably right on all of that, but if I had my wife doing all that and she wasn't even hunting I'd have a lot bigger problems than getting a ticket.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
She can't.................chase cripples or carry birds.
That part is for sure. Picking up a bird would be taking possession of a bird she didn't shoot, and isn't licensed to shoot. There is no legal way for her to hold/possess the bird unless she was gifted the bird with the proper documentation, and that can't be done in the field.

·
Banned
436 Posts
no lisc needed she is just a bird watcher. I don't know why putting out decoys or retrieving game would be illegal either. Just make sure you don't have an extra shotgun or she is not carrying yours to an from the blind..

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The bird boy's in the valley don't have licenses and they retrieve birds, and the game warden almost always stops by, how would this be any different. rs
They probably don't have driver licenses or green cards either.. Some things are just understood. But I'm pretty sure if a GW wants to be a stick, he could issue a ticket for too much involvement in the hunt.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have never heard of this. Can you provide a link to that please? It would be greatly appreciated.
No. It is not clearly defined this way in statute. We were briefed by a TPWD Lieutenant and even though it was several years ago the explanation went like this:

Hunting is defined as taking or attempting to take game.

One person may do this independently or it may be a team effort (as in a deer drive).

If you make a substantial contribution to the taking, or the attempt to take, game, you are hunting.

If you are hunting you need to have a license. You do not have to be the person shooting the bird or animal.

Obviously, the GW has considerable lattitude as to what constitutes "contributing". Little kids out having fun with dad in the outdoors are usually kind of overlooked. He originally argued that helping pick up and pack up decoys was contributing but I argued back, that the attempt to take game was over at that point and he agreed. Also that dropping off hunters by four wheeler, truck etc. is usually not considered contributing substantially.

As people take cases to court, case law is being established on what is allowed and not, but actually participating in the killing or retrieving (both part of "taking") of the bird or animal, or possessing it in the field have pretty much been settled in court.

I BELIEVE he said they had a Texas Attorney Generals opinion on it as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts