2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new-to-me boat last week. Ran it a few times and the past couple days and noticed a slight lean to the starboard side. Come to find out the port trim tab is stuck half-down. It has power and I can hear the motor working but, it's stuck. The rod has a couple of rust rings around it so I'm sure this sucker is seized up. My question is: What route do I go to get it fixed? Take it back to dealership? Boat was on consignment so I'm not sure what they can do. Call Lenco? Boat and trim tabs are 2009. Not sure what kind of warranty they have. Tear into it myself and see if I can get it free? Doesn't look like it's very complicated?
The rest of the boat is in immaculate shape so I'm sure this isn't due to neglect. The other trim tab looks and functions flawlessly. I'll give Mike at Ronnie's a call in the morning but I was just wondering what y'all think or if y'all have had the same thing happen.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Check the splices in the bilge and under the console. Probably a bad connection giving low voltage. An 09 tab shouldn't be out.

Biggie:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Yep, there is a waterproof connection, Green and Blue on both sides if memory serves. Make sure those are connected - been there done that, frustrating until you find it's something simple like that. Also make sure the connection on the back of the switch is locked in, probably fine now since the other side is still working - just make sure it's seated all the way and locked in as part of your troubleshooting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same thing here except it was locked up making no noise then started working, then i fully retracted it and it is stuck but sounds like its working fine still not even the slightest movement. Im about to get the rubber mallet out and beat it. anyone tore in to these before?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Once you tear into it, it will always leak. I tore one of mine open and i don't think I would have ever gotten it back together sealed properly. Call lenco. They have great customer service so they may even warranty it or provide a heavy discount on a replacement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a trim tab kinda do the same thing. I had a friend who would use it as a step trying to get back in the boat after wade fishing, after a while it started to mess up. It would not go down unless someone would put pressure down on it while i hit the switch. One day it just stopped working all together. I did the ebay thing and looked for some, then I thought since I already had the mind set to get new ones to go ahead and tear into mine and see if I can figure out what went wrong. Came apart really easy after I loosened the two nuts on top. Was sealed up with o rings but water was in the housing still. It is a very simple design and was easy to clean and trace my problem. Where the cable goes in to housing it was crimped to tight and broke the wire, so I just cut it back, reconnected it, then I just cleaned and put new grease in it and now it works like a new one. Just letting you know it wasnt that hard to tear apart and diagnose the problem. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know how old your boat is but I was the previous owner of t-tung's boat. I sent it back to Lenco for him and they replaced the actuator free of charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts