2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a small piece of land for bird hunting. This property has a long standing lease arrangement with a duck hunting club, and about 50% of it is also leased out to a crawfish farmer. I have no idea what these kinds of leases typically amount to but the extent to which they wound offset the cost is a important factor in whether or not I consider an outright purchase, or consider a partner or two in the deal. Short of asking for the information directly from the owner, I'm not sure how to go about determining the potential income from these leases. I did ask the broker for what ever information he could provide, but I would rather have an objective opinion.

Can anyone tell me where to look, or provide me with any estimates based on existing leases. I don't know if the duck lease is fixed, or a day lease deal. I can estimate the value of a fixed lease, but 'm not sure how the day lease deal, or a lease to an outfitter might work.

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Uhhh Ohhhh, Richard

Getting tired of the leases?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Ahhh, got ya! I hope ya find what want!! Good Luck, Bro!

·
***, Over?
2,262 Posts
My suggestion would be to flat out ask for the information. If the owner is fairly motivated and knows you are serious, they should have no problem sharing that information. You can't put a serious offer on the table without a clear understanding.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a small piece of land for bird hunting. This property has a long standing lease arrangement with a duck hunting club, and about 50% of it is also leased out to a crawfish farmer. I have no idea what these kinds of leases typically amount to but the extent to which they wound offset the cost is a important factor in whether or not I consider an outright purchase, or consider a partner or two in the deal. Short of asking for the information directly from the owner, I'm not sure how to go about determining the potential income from these leases. I did ask the broker for what ever information he could provide, but I would rather have an objective opinion.

Can anyone tell me where to look, or provide me with any estimates based on existing leases. I don't know if the duck lease is fixed, or a day lease deal. I can estimate the value of a fixed lease, but 'm not sure how the day lease deal, or a lease to an outfitter might work.

Thanks !
If the owner has written documents/leases that would carry past the date of the sale he is required to show those to you. I detect some hesitation in your text about asking. Leasees add value to property, you should ask to see them. If he has no written, then ask if you can speak to the current tenants if he will let you. At the very least see if he can show you cancelled checks for any money that he has brought in. If he wont do any of these then buyer beware. Good luck.

If you need a partner I wouldnt mind looking. Would like to have a piece of duck property.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, Yep, I'm a bit hesitant to ask the owner for details and/or documentation. I'm actually not sure when the right time for that is, and the broker has not offered anything specific other than guidance on rates as far as he knows them to be. I believe this is a piece of a larger section and specifics may not be available for just the acreage I'm looking at ??
Regardless, I've got a good amount of feedback on this thanks to the 2cool brain trust and can ball park some numbers now.

Thanks to everyone who replied or PM's with info !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts