2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat course this weekend. Had a completely awesome time! Once you soak in all the jargon and sailing theory, the rest is totally by feel. Definitely a skill to be learned.

I will take another lesson or two, then focus on doing day trip charters for the next few years. I may take the next one or two classes, but I doubt we'll be doing any overnighters, since our kids are so young.

I must say it was nice cruising along without the drone of the engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to Bay Area Sailing in Kemah. The basic 101 course is 1/2 day of classroom, and 1 1/2 days sailing. Believe me, by the end of the course, you and the other one or two students can competently sail the boat with just a few helpful reminders from the instructor. This afternoon, we sailed entirely by ourselves, and the instructor stood in the cabin and talked college football with us.

The 101 class also comes with a free mentor sail, which is basically just another half day lesson on the water where you take the boat out and put the boat back into the slip all by yourself. THEN you get a free charter!

I was grouped with a couple from League City, and we got along great. We exchanged phone numbers and are going to team up on our next few sails. Since we're inviting each other on our free charters, we have another 4 sails for free!

If your kids are already in the 8+ age range, they will have a blast and will even be able to help after a few safety lessons. While we were taking our classroom part, an 8 year old girl took out a little 8 foot sailboat all by herself.

Here's the link: www.bayareasailing.com

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Blow boats rock.

we troll the surf in my hobiecat..
Can't manage anything but hardheads so far, didn't know they like spoons....

a

·
Done Wit Dat
7,526 Posts
When I was a kid, I went to sailing camp for several Summers. I always loved it, but it drove me crazy when I saw bait popping everywhere and I wasn't allowed to bring a rod with me. LOL. I haven't sailed since 1997, and I really do miss it. Not really an option for me in my home waters around SLP, but I have seen a sailboat twice in the last month in Cold Pass and around to Christmas Point. It was cool seeing it out there and it did get me thinking. Maybe a Sunfish would be practical.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
When I was a kid, I went to sailing camp for several Summers. I always loved it, but it drove me crazy when I saw bait popping everywhere and I wasn't allowed to bring a rod with me. LOL. I haven't sailed since 1997, and I really do miss it. Not really an option for me in my home waters around SLP, but I have seen a sailboat twice in the last month in Cold Pass and around to Christmas Point. It was cool seeing it out there and it did get me thinking. Maybe a Sunfish would be practical.
Since the dike is closed the TCDYC guys are getting together on Surfside beach, around mile marker 6 I believe to launch the cats. It's a little rougher launch through the surf, but an inexperienced sailor like myself can still manage...

a

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I learned when I was 9 on a Laser then went to Hobies and then on to keel boats until a few years ago. After 20+ years of racing all over the US and parts of the world I decided to hang it up and sell the boats and get into offshore fishing. I have not looked back since and as long as I am on the water it is all good.

Sailing is definitely an art and like you said .... by feel. Finding a crew that is reliable and being competitive is very time consuming and hard work. If I need crew for offshore I just put a message on 2cool and voila! Instant crew and good people.:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts