2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this happen once before and got worried thinking it was lower unit oil but it dried to a black powdery substance instead of black oil stains. Had the boat out yesterday and found this today after flushing the motor. Is this lower unit oil? It's apparently coming out from right in front of the prop. What's causing the leak? Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Lower Unit oil. I belive there a prop seal or something like that.

SD

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
When was the last time that you had your lower unit re-sealed??? That would be what I had checked first.

Late,
Cox

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
If it's powdery, It is probably carbon from the exhaust. Too much of this may indicate a problem with the motor.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LA Cox said:
When was the last time that you had your lower unit re-sealed??? That would be what I had checked first.

Late,
Cox
Never. I have only had the boat 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fishsmart said:
Have you ever decarboned the engine?

Charles
No I havent. Didnt even know that was something that could be done. What does it entail and approximate cost?

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
I would suggest getting with the previous owner, and find out when he had the lower unit seal replaced. I actually had to have mine replaced on the new boat after 2 years, but there was a reason for that. If I remember correctly on my last boats it seems like I had it resealed about every 5 years. If you take it into a shop make sure and have them check your water pump/impellar while they've got it apart.

Late,
Cox

1 - 12 of 12 Posts