2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All my friends say.....
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a shop that has a hydrolic press in the League City area. I have a front fork for a bicycle that I need the steer tube pressed out and a new one pressed in.

Does anyone know of a shop or individual in the League City area that could help me out for a fee (beer or cash)?

I attached a photo of the bottom of the fork and a front view.

The new steer tube will be in on Wed or Thur.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
HC, I have repaired bikes all my life, designed my own and have never needed a press or seperator to do maint to the front assy. I don't see anything on your bike that would need such tooling. Whats different??? I'm missing something here I bet?

·
All my friends say.....
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is a new frame and the headtube is crazy long for the size frame I need. I did not realize this when I ordered the new frame. My steer tube is too short, it only goes a little above the bottom bolt on the stem. There are different opions if you should press in a new steer tube or not.

The fork is a very nice Fox F-29 G2 design and I dont want to sell it and buy a new one if the steer tube can be pressed out and a new one pressed in with out causing issues. New steer tube, 20 bucks plus nominal fee for pressing job or sell old fork for $250 if I am lucky and buy new one for $450.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
HC, Thanks for the info. I knew there was alot more I wasn't seeing. I just didn't want a 2cooler to pay more into a job that should not require it.
Any good pop garage should have a press to let you use a minute. good luck.

·
All my friends say.....
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, 2cool has never let me down when I needed a question answered. I will expand the location of a shop to all of the Houston area.

Someone on here has to know somewhere I can get this little job done.

Anyone?????

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
i bet you could go get a balljoint press from autozone and do it yourself. it's a mechanical press, not hydraulic but it should be plenty powerful enough to do the job you are wanting to do.

They loan them out for free. (you put down a deposit but, get it all back when you return the tool)

·
All my friends say.....
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bet you could go get a balljoint press from autozone and do it yourself. it's a mechanical press, not hydraulic but it should be plenty powerful enough to do the job you are wanting to do.

They loan them out for free. (you put down a deposit but, get it all back when you return the tool)
Cool, I will check on that. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts