2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a quick way to change lures/ rigs for offshore tackle?? I currently tie my Fluorocarbon to a barrel swivel which is already wired to my lure or bait leader...

Also, the wire leader material (tied to the lure) is hard to store in boxes without kinking it...

Anyone have any luck or bad luck w/ snap swivels??

Just looking for ideas??

Thanks...

·
Registered
884 Posts
if i am trolling i use snap swivels. i don't think it makes much of a diff at 8 knots. but then i don't troll with flurocarbon. i don't really think the lure color, shape, etc has much to do with the fish hitting it. as long as it runs well you could troll a shoe with hooks. i think the fish strike out of predatory instinct not out of hunger for the most part.

so snap is the way i go unless it hinders the action.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you snap to the lure or to the wire leader?? Ex. Mono to snap to barrel to wire leader tied to lure?? Or is the snap swivel at the end of the wire leader snapped to the lure??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
i make all my lures with leaders attached to lure with a small stainless ring, swivel, or attachment. i store my lures in the blue pouch lure bags that vent and hold 4-6 lures. i roll the leader and tie with rubber band or other type of tie. the snap is attached to my mono line and the lure is attached at the last minute.

·
Registered
884 Posts
pics 1 & 2 are the things i use to secure the leaders.
pic 3 is a simple way of attaching to snap swivel
pic 4 the rings i often put on end of leader that attaches to snap
pic 5 type of snap that i used to use. have to use a pliers to squeeze the thing or it can open. lost a high speed lure this way.
pic 6 preferred method with a grommet. very streamline.

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
573 Posts
One thing I do is to tie a snap swivle to the line and leave a loop in the wire. It makes it easy to change or replace The lure or the wire rig.
Agulhas, who sells those plastic keeps you show??
BigMike

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot... My concern was the extra visibility of the snap swivel... The only ones I have found are considably larger & less streamlined than the grommet or SPRO barrel swivels. Do you all care or have you found some snap swivels that are small & strong??

·
Registered
884 Posts
http://www.hiliner.com/rec/snap_l_s.htm

dark the snaps above are small and strong as hell but take a pliers and squeeze the mechanism that opens otherwise it eventually loosens. you may want to squeeze it after x amount of trips (just test to tell if it is loosening.) otherwise i use sampos.

·
Super Senior Member...
794 Posts
those curly plastic things I think can be purchased at Radio Shack???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts