2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what those small insects are that jump out of the way of your lawnmower? They are about 1/4" long, black with orange stripes. They'll occasionally land on you and bite the fire out of you! I've put out all kinds of stuff including the Ortho Max to no avail. Thanks!

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Not sure of the name, but if you're bitten too often they will make your babies be born nekid:eek:
Can you capture one in a pic? I can't say that I've seen em before....what part of the world ya seein em in?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course when I need one, I can't find one. They kinda look like a leafhopper, but they DO bite. They are solid black with 2-3 orange horizontal thin orange stripes. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
do they leave a blister like after a bad sunburn. I bet they are blister bugs. I have been bit by a few of those and they do hurt. When they blister up if they do do not pop it and let it run on unirritated skin. When I did this the juice from the blister caused the unirritated skin to be blistered.

go here and see if it looks like one of these http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/fldcrops/ef102.htm

·
Fishmoore & Doolittle, Retirement Clubs
2,741 Posts
Sure sounds like Spittle Bug. They do more harm in thier larvae stage than in the adult stage..but the adults make the larvae. I sometimes to get the larvae and thier spittle on some of my Salvias. They have a tube like thingy they use to draw juices from plants. Maybe that's what bit ya. A good drowning of insecticidal soap takes care of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts