2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard that if I launch in 4 wheel drive when I put it in park it locks all 4 wheels. I have 2019 Chevy Z71 4 wheel drive. I usually kill the truck while launching. What would happen if I launch and put it in 4 wheel drive and then put it in park and then kill the motor?

I use wheel blocks for rear wheels and I am talking about launch not pull out. boat is a 24' Whaler
Thanks
Archie

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,311 Posts
I launch a 26ft Southshore that weighs 6700 pounds. Also launch a 26ft Ranger with twin engine offshore boat that weighs more than that about 7700. Both are heavier than that whaler.

With a BMW SUV.... i dont do anything special except on a steep ramp i put the parking brake on.

You're way over thinking it. Shouldn't need 4x4. Park is a lil parking pawl inside the transmission. Your tires turn your differentials connected to drive shafts that turn your transmission. Front driveshaft additionally goes thru a transfer case. The PARK parking pawl simply locks the transmission. Your tires are turning against the driveshaft trying to turn the transmission. I dont see why 4x4 park would be necessary. Use parking break if necessary. Much safer much more solid and designed for what you are asking. That parking pawl can actually break under the forces you describe.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
When you back down the ramp you aren't for the most part using the gas pedal ... like most of us you work the brakes backing down ... all 4 wheels have a brake and if you should back down a little too far and put your back wheels into the water and possibly some green slime well, no worries right? Your front tires are on solid mostly dry ramp and you have plenty of grip up front ... now you are pulling out with your boat and release the brakes and press the accelerator a little but nothing happens ... a little more on the gas and still nothing ... worse yet you're slowly sliding down the ramp and nothing you do seems to help ... at this point your best bet is to just engage the brakes and look around to see if there is someone left in the area who'll give you a pull ... any time I am at a ramp the 4x4 will always be engaged ...

·
Premium Member
15,757 Posts
Most parking brakes only work on the rear brakes. If steep or slippery, I’d much rather be in 4x4 low. Just pull straight out, no turns.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Sgrem is correct about that parking pawl on an automatic transmission, they can snap. You can gain some additional piece of mind with a standard transmission by killing the engine with 4x4 engaged and in gear.

·
archTech
8,582 Posts
Short answer for all 4 wheels to be locked in park when in 4wd...no. In park the rear wheels work against each other so if one slips it's over. You should additionally set your parking brake if worried about it as mentioned above. Sgrem has a bit different scenario in that his BMW is all wheel drive. If launching my big offshore boat, I don't engage the front hubs...unless it's a steep ramp...but will jerk it down in 4 low. I don't ever shut the engine down while in the ramp...too many things that can go wrong...

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,815 Posts
Never done or ever heard of doing any of that. Parking brake on my truck doesn't even work. Never needed 4wd on any ramp in any condition I've been in

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Don’t over think this. If you are worried about your vehicle slipping/moving while in park just set the parking brake. Don’t use 4 wheel drive as another braking safety feature.

And as some else mentioned, I always leave my truck running. If it’s in park and you set the parking brake there is nothing to worry about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts