2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my buddy who invites me to the corp of engineers today and told me that he was going to take a half day and wanted to see if I wanted to go catch some fish. I had to work so I told him I would meet him down there when I got off. I met up with him at around 3pm he already had his limit but he stayed around trying to find the one for Flounder Revolution. I was all ready to get started and a pair of game wardens pull up to the corp by boat and wanted to check everyone so after showing him my liscence and the empty cooler and stringer I got to get my line wet. I was throwing a 1/8oz ball jig head with a plum/chart. coachoe minnow. My first two casts I had a flounder play with it so the third cast I knew about where he was laying so when I got to where I thought the fish was I worked my bait very slow and thump. I lifted the rod and she started lifting so I set the hook. I didn't have my net with me and I knew she was a solid fish so I walked her to a low lying bulk head and flipped her out of the water. She measured in at 19 1/2 so on the stringer she went. For about another hour all I was hooking into where small fish 12-14 inch fish. So I switched colors and went with a red/white and instantly I was getting bigger fish to hit. I probably pulled out 3 fish that all measured out the same 16 1/4 so thats the one I stuck with for my limit. But I still wanted to see if I could catch one for the flounder revolution since I still had about 30 min. of fishing time left. I should have left but no I just had to get one before I left and as I was thinking in my head this is my last cast thump then the line started moving so I opened up the spool so it could adjust right in its mouth. I set the hook and instantly the line started peeling off the spool. I knew right away what it was a red. I just didn't know how big. So I had to chase the fish around the corp because I was fishing with 12lb test I thought for sure she would have spooled me or broke the line. So about 20 min. later I get to see how big she is. I have never caught one so big so I was asking for someone to net her for me and the closest person with a net was running towards me and as he got to me she took off again but she was physically drained so I turned her head and got it in the guys net just barely. Half of her body was in. I then saw a mass of line and leaders raped around her. So I got her out of the net. got all the hooks and line off of her got the check it stick out and tried to measure her but she was to big for my measuring device. I asked for the net again put her in it and started working her back and forth in the water untill she had enough energy to swim away on her own. I was planning on leaving at 530 I didn't get into the car until 615.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts