2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone have a resouce on how to make a very large (4ft) slab of oak into a table? I had to cut a very large tree down after Ike and have a 4ft disc that I wanted to make into a table. This would be my first. Thanks for any and all help, advise, etc. GOD BLESS

·
Registered
696 Posts
If it's a crosscut you need to seal it NOW and get it out of the sun or it will split bad and be firewood. Even sealed it may split on you. Where are you located? I love building tables.
later, biggreen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggreen:

In the Cypress area. Will seal it today. I have it in the garage and it was cut Monday. If you are close let me know. I really want to learn but an clueless at this point. I will take a pic tonight and post in the morning. Maybe we could cut the piece in 1/2 (about 6in thick) and we could both make a table? Thanks again for advice.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm at Eldrige and Cypress N houston, we're close. Are you going to build this yourself? That's going to be a lot of sanding and had work to do that. Did you save any more of the tree to mill into the legs and supports? That's going to be easier than doing the top. Let me know if I can help w/ anything. Keep it sealed. it's going to soak up all kinds of whatever you put on it. I have a gallon of wax/sealer that works good if you want to use some of it. The woodcraft stores and rockler both sell it.

later, biggreen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Green:

Can get the wood for the legs etc. Should still be there. Will seal tonight should be a fun project. Thanks again for all the help!!!! Owe you bigtime!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Galbay, I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe run a couple straps around it as tight as you can get them and hope for the best. I talked to him yesterday and sounds like he's got it sealed up good and in a garage. If it's going to crack it's going to happen in the next couple weeks I suppose. It's about 6" think so there's something there to work with. We'll see what happens.

later, biggreen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys work kicking my butt. Got it sealed and will put straps on tonight. I have some tie downs that should work. Took a pic with the cell phone it is about 4" across and 5in thick. trying to post but having problems Would love to have you guys over to do this one. P.M. me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts