2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hp laptop that's less than a year old and it dropped off the couch today. Now the screen won't light up, but I can just barely see everything and use it under the light in the room. Is there some sort of backlight or something that went out?

·
Hold my beer.....
4,025 Posts
i dont know for sure but a girl i know had the same thing happen to her! she is hooking it up to the tv and using the tv screen as her computer screen. always an option

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
There is backlighting behind the LCD scree. You may have killed it when it fell.

I bought a screen off Ebay a year ago for my old Toshiba that I cracked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Screen went dark?

A buddy of mine had the same problem with his Dell. Computer was less than a year old and one day he turns it on and it doesn't light up. We looked real close and could BARELY see the stuff on the screen.

Turns out the light went out and he was able to get a replacement online somewhere and put it in himself. I'll email him to find out where he ended up getting the part but if I'm not mistaken I think he told me it ended up costing about $50 for the replacement light. The installation he said was very simple (on the Dell, he said you pull the little rubber bumpers off the screen-side of the top to reveal little screws; remove the screws and the screen comes off. Unplug the light from the the little ribbon wire and remove it, place the new light in and plug it back into the ribbon wire; put the screen back in, replace the screws, re-glue the bumpers and viola!)

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
The CFL is broken & needs to be replaced. If it cost too much and you don't have damage coverage, claim it on your credit card's warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correction

A buddy of mine had the same problem with his Dell. Computer was less than a year old and one day he turns it on and it doesn't light up. We looked real close and could BARELY see the stuff on the screen.

Turns out the light went out and he was able to get a replacement online somewhere and put it in himself. I'll email him to find out where he ended up getting the part but if I'm not mistaken I think he told me it ended up costing about $50 for the replacement light. The installation he said was very simple (on the Dell, he said you pull the little rubber bumpers off the screen-side of the top to reveal little screws; remove the screws and the screen comes off. Unplug the light from the the little ribbon wire and remove it, place the new light in and plug it back into the ribbon wire; put the screen back in, replace the screws, re-glue the bumpers and viola!)
Sorry, I was mistaken. I heard back from my buddy and he said he ordered the new screen straight from Dell. Said it cost $179 and he replaced the entire screen. Hope this helps - Best of luck to ya.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I honestly dont know enough about it to give you any info. I thought an LCD screen was lit up by tiny little LCDs, but now that I think of it, I might be confusing LCDs with LEDs. If it were mine, I would take it to a shop to fix it. Id probably make the problem worse if I tried to fix it myself. Im pretty good with carburetors and such, not so good with electronic components, even though I built my own computer. Good luck with it. In the meantime, their should be a little blue socket on the back of the computer that you can plug a regular monitor into. I know it defeats the purpose of a laptop, but at least you can still use it while your waiting to get it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts