2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent Monday through Thursday at my buddy's cabin at the Landcut. All I can say is WOW! what a trip. We fished each night under a spot light at the dock and caught (no exaggeration) over 500 specks. Almost all of them were undersized but we managed 15 keepers. We were using Speck Rigs and most casts would get two at a time. To make things interesting, we had a contest the last night to see who could catch 100 trout first. We both had our 100 in about 3 hours.

Each morning we fished the shoreline of Rocky Slough and Yarborough Flats for reds. Caught a total of about 30 keeper sized reds on gold spoons. Came home with 12 nice reds 22"-25" and 15 trout. We saw almost nobody down there, maybe 10 boats the whole 4 days. I can't wait to go back.

Steve

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am not being critical, just asking a question because I probably would have done the same. However, when you are catching nothing but dinks, I mean 100 is excessive, should you move to a new area or quit fishing? Catching that many must be bad for them since some may not survive. Nathan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nathan, I understand your concern..

but none of the trout were deep hooked. Down there in the cut, there is almost no fishing pressure and there were literally thousands of trout each night at the end of the dock. They were stacked thick. The percentage of non-survivors would be miniscule. When you go down there, there is nothing to do but eat, sleep, and fish. No TV, no restaurants, no wives, no roads, no cars, etc. So after the sun went down, it was either fish or sleep. As far as changing spots, I sure wouldn't want to be driving the boat around there at night.

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now I have heard it all!!

You are now calling out people for catch and release!?!?!?! LOL! Heck, they only kept 15 trout for the box. 3 day trip 2 fisherman - they could have kept 60. I seldom comment on the on going debate between catch and release, keep your limit, and keep less than your limit, but this struck me as pretty funny. No offense Nathan but this is a FISHING board. Sounds like a blast to me, get out the ultralight or the fly rod and go to town, besides you never know when a gator trout might crusie through too - those big girls have no problem hunting down a few 10 inchers for their dinner. I will admit Nathan, I might have been tempted to throw some big plugs to see if I could find a bigger trout and these guys may have.

Pretty funny!
Andy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mudskipper...

We did exactly that. We pulled out the fly rods one night and caught probably 40 on flies. Unfortunately, they ripped our flies to shreds and we ran out of flies. We threw plastics, Top Dogs, Cocahoe Minnows, Saltwater Assasins, everything. I had a blast and to me that's what fishing is all about.

Steve

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Land Cut

Thanks for the great report. A trip to the Land Cut is one of those things I have to check off the list of the things to do before I check out!! You have inspired me!

·
Banned
137 Posts
Just curious, where is the "LandCut" that you are referring to? I'm fairly new to salt water fishing, only started this year, and haven't hit hardly any of the places that are talked about on any of the boards yet. Also, is this place accessable by shore fishing/wading? (i have no boat:-( ) Thanks for the report, btw. Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Juan

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Geography

LG, the Landcut is the part of the Intracoastal Canal that connects the Upper and Lower Laguna Madre. Rocky Slough and Yarborough Flats are near the mouth of Baffin Bay. Baffin extends west from the canal, aka "the ditch", about halfway between the two mother bays. You can get to the west edge of Baffin by truck at Riviera Beach but the bulk of the good fishing is only accessible by boat. I fish it from the south end out of Port Mansfield and while it really is a good spot, most of its status comes from being so far from anywhere that it must be a great spot. After all nobody fishes right by the ramp, right? The 1st law of fishing states that the quality of the trip is directly proportional to the distance that you travel. Of course the 1st law of fishing is wrong at least as many times as it is right. Good luck on your next adventure, you've got a lot of cool places to check out.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Landcut

The "landcut" runs from the Lower laguna Madre --mouth of Baffin Bay to just north of Port Mansield. It is a narrow channel that rarely gets wider than 100 yards and has a depth of about 15 feet or so. Most fish are caught on the edge of the drop off into the channel. It can be some fantastic fishing under the birds on occasion. I don't think there is any way to get there without a boat and from the JFK causway it's about 22 miles south and from PM it's about the same distance north.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get to Yarborough..

LG, you can get to Yarborough from Padre Island National Seashore via 4 wheel drive vehicle. There are miles of knee deep flats that are great wade fishing. Otherwise, you need a boat to fish the other areas near the landcut. Pick up a Top Spot map and you will find Yarborough on it. Good luck.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts